What's new
What's new

Machine moving/rigging services, occasional used machine sales around Portland, OR

Garwood

Diamond
Rigging is not a fulltime job for me (I run a product based shop 40 minutes outside of Portland). I occasionally buy broken machines, fix them, use them, sell them, trade them. Moving machines at low cost is one way I keep more cash in my pocket. Through the coarse of buying machines I've developed relationships with Portland area companies that call when they need a lower value machine moved or hauled away.

Several PM members have bought machines from me and later had me move other machines for them.

I use riggers too. I recommend Integrity in Portland and Checkmate in the Seattle area. Great guys to work with. I know why they charge what they do. I do things a little different when a machines value doesn't justify the pro $$$. Generally moving with Rollbacks and Landolls. No forklift or crane involved. I know the people to call that can drive a truck well and show up on time. I try to minimize risk, but there is always a chance something could go wrong so that's where the big difference is. If your machine did fall off the truck, well, that sucks. Should have spent the $3500 for the pros. That has not happened, but if it did it's your problem, not mine.

My services are a good fit if your machine is older and heavier and load/unload situations are safe for my methods.

A smaller machine under 8000 lbs is going to be around $600 Larger machines to 50K lbs or so are usually in the $1500 to $2500 range. Often times larger means pilot cars and more time to prepare the machine for moving/skating to a door.

I have moved many VMC's, HMC's, CNC lathes, CNC lasers, robotic arms, surface/OD/ID grinders, manual lathes, HBM's and small/short presses (Injection molding machines, etc) even some winery equipment, large tanks and grape presses. My methods are not safe for press brakes and other large presses. Those are usually crane/tri-lifter jobs.

If you're in the local Portland market for an older lower cost CNC or other machine (not bridgeport type mills or small lathes) send me a PM with your needs/budget. If you have equipment to liquidate I might be interested or know somebody who is. I might take on larger jobs (like moving your entire shop) in exchange for higher value machines or tooling. You never know.

I'd prefer to keep my name and business/personal information off the internet. Thanks!

Couple things to add-

If there needs to be a forklift on one end or the other I can often beat rigger's prices by a good bit. Depends on the location and other factors. I'm generally not competitive if forklift is a requirement on both ends. But generally I avoid forklifts altogether with creative application of heavy equipment movers.

If you have a time sensitive situation and the riggers are all booked (this happens a lot when multiple auctions are happening same time) I can probably make it happen, whatever it is, but short timeframes come with a cost.

Residential is usually not a problem. I say if you can get a dumptruck with a short trailer to your shop I can get a semi with a 53' Landoll in there. There's exceptions, but don't discount my methods without asking first.

I honestly think a sticky thread should be made for rigging whether you have a good or bad experience to share, or offering services. When I was in So Cal I didn't hit on a good one until I went through about 4 or 5 bad ones. I once had a rigger talking on his phone a little too loud about how he knows the slowest route from any two points in the area and he is an expert at getting stuck in traffic. He must have been talking to a buddy or his wife while his partner was unstrapping my machines.

I honestly think a sticky thread should be made for rigging whether you have a good or bad experience to share, or offering services. When I was in So Cal I didn't hit on a good one until I went through about 4 or 5 bad ones. I once had a rigger talking on his phone a little too loud about how he knows the slowest route from any two points in the area and he is an expert at getting stuck in traffic. He must have been talking to a buddy or his wife while his partner was unstrapping my machines.

That's kinda why I decided to put this in writing here. It isn't rocket science and I'm happy to share what I learned. I learned what I know by paying for rigging and watching, asking questions and then doing it.

There isn't any magic involved. The most complicated part is estimating center of mass and sometimes weight if you don't have good numbers. There's maybe $2000 in jacks, skates and bars that covers most jobs.

Don't get me wrong, real fulltime rigging outfits provide a great service, but there are certain situations (outlined above) where the risk is low enough that saving the money is worth it.

Yesterday, guy in my area started a thread in the CNC section about a retrofit of some old POS. I sent him a PM with a few questions and my number. He calls me and now we're working on moving a perfect working late 80's HMC into his shop sometime in the next couple weeks.

He gets a good old machine that will make his parts under budget. Big Portland company gets a machine out of their way with no stress. I make about a grand profit for a day of hard work.

Back