What's new
What's new

Minneapolis Locals Part request: Pipe thread reducer for gas line

Bazookamoose

Plastic
Hello all! Fist time posting in this section so let me know if I’m doing this wrong.

My mom has a gas line problem in her apartment complex. Seems that they don’t make flexible hoses in 7/8” OD any more for threads!

I’m looking for some one with better skills than I who may be able to help make a reducer so we can use standard hoses off the shelf instead of running a whole new pipe for each apartment.

It would be helpful if some one in the local Minneapolis MN area could help me out! Pay is negotiable.

Here is the dimensions:
Female end 7/8” MNPT/NPT to male end 1/2” MNPT/NPT
I would need two and also need them to be in compliance for natural gas use. Big enough to make a safe fit for natural gas passage. I’m still shocked that I can’t find a reducer or fitting at this size. They used to be common about 5 years ago when we did work on them last.

Any direction or assistance is appreciated.
Pricing can be discussed in PM if any one is interested. I’ll pull this listing down after 3 days.

Sorry to say, but no one here in their right mind would touch a gas fitting part like that......................inviting a ton of liabilty

On top of that an APARTMENT complex, this is commercial property, all work needs to be done by a licensed contractor. I have a feeling they got a quote to fix it correctly that the owner didn't like? Things that can cause massive explosion and kill multiple people aren't the place to save money.

Yeah, DIY gas fitting is bad enough in a home situation but in apartment complex? With non-certified parts? Time to
give your head a shake. Hopefully you've left enough info that someone can figure out who you are and report this to
the proper authorities...

Why are you doing gas work in an apartment complex? You call the landlord and have them take care of such things. What is this "problem" we are talking about? If the landlord won't deal with it, trust me, the building inspector would love to come take a look.

Are we reading this wrong and your mom is the landlord? This is not going to go over well with the insurance if this is the case.

In the building trades, there are documented ways to deal with almost all legacy installed items. Are you even familiar with how to determine the size of an NPT fitting?

Thanks everyone for the help so far!
I was able to get the fitting off - turns out it's a standard chinesium adapter line that had essentially friction fused to the other part. Heated up, knock and a crap ton of torque to get it off to show the good old standard fitting. Replaced with a up to current standard line.

That's why no one makes it in that size... Proprietary to that cheap brand. Don't buy cheap, kills you eeeeevery time.

I had assumed with the liability angle that no one would do it and it would be a crap idea, but we were running out of options on it (until the heat and smash idea came up).

Makes me wonder, how would one get certified for making those parts?

The mind boggles. I didn't pull it down after 3 days like an idiot. Thanks guys!

Not sure what you mean by that? This was a request for information but every state has different laws and I was asking if there was the ability for custom made things, which in fact is perfectly legal as long as it is made to standards. An inspection would also be okay as well. As for actual liability, yes that's the thing most manufacturers would shy away from custom parts. The part that was on there was an already pre-existing adapter purchased from sears, who doesn't make it any more. I believe that was kind of the question... Soooo yeah. Not sure where you are going on that one.

Back