What's new
What's new

Need coil cores made.

Bluecollarirons

Plastic
These are easy to make if you have a bar feeder. Its minimal tooling and set up for this job and they are easy to make. All you have to do is keep the bar feeder fed. Having said that I won't pay more than $2 a piece for these. Not opposed to having these made in China.
I need them made from 12L14

That +/-.010 .380 depth is that full thread or to the end of a chamfered gauge or screw? Also can it be a little deeper? Thread depth call outs in blind holes can be dicey as inspection techniques and how hard the inspector cranks the gauge in vary. Also for price consideration what are the finish requirements?

Thread goes to end of hole (as far as the bottom tap will allow. Finish is just parted as smooth as you can, a nipple isn't even too much of a trouble. Doesn't have to be like glass. Im gonna face them off to a different size anyway.

Very simple part, quantities are low, easily done with a turret lathe.

Tom

Understand that completely, however with a part qty of only 200 pieces,
and a max. price of $2, it only can bring in $400.
Set-up and run that job for $400 means you'd be in the 4 hour range.

Can you make 200 pieces in 4 hours ? Including setting the machine up,
and cleaning the parts ?

Pretty tite I think.

Understand that completely, however with a part qty of only 200 pieces,
and a max. price of $2, it only can bring in $400.
Set-up and run that job for $400 means you'd be in the 4 hour range.

Can you make 200 pieces in 4 hours ? Including setting the machine up,
and cleaning the parts ?

Pretty tite I think.

That depends on your hourly rate. Since I am retired (also tired), have a shop in the basement, all machines are paid for and have machines setup to do this exact type of work, I could do it easily. I thought about biding it but why take bread from a hungry mouth? Besides, who would give work to a completely unknown shop. Most of what I do is local, right now things are slack. That just means I can get up late in the morning, leisurely do the work of a retiree, wonder if the church needs some help, put up the garden on a warm day and schedule events on my time, not yours.

Retirement is good. I recommend it.

Tom

I understand this as well.
However your not doing the job, you just said so.
Granted another retiree may step up, but there is the
impetus to get going and deliver on time.
And many retirees don't want the pressure (I can fully relate).

So a "real" shop (someone with employees, and overhead cost's) is gonna be
pretty tite to make this job pay the light bill.

Most shop's around here are at $50 an hour, and some have a min.
hours on that low rate.

You are correct. I am not the only one that might want the job for whatever, apparently Dualkit decided he could make a buck.

Shop rate is a general term used to as a guide when pricing a job. Say your rate is $50/hr. You have some machines open and people to run them. I come to you with a proposal that you could do, but at $35/hr, a small job like this, a gap filler. Would you turn down the work because you can't do it at $50/hr, but can make a little, maybe enough to pay the employee and not much more at $35/hr?

Tom

You are correct. I am not the only one that might want the job for whatever, apparently Dualkit decided he could make a buck.

Shop rate is a general term used to as a guide when pricing a job. Say your rate is $50/hr. You have some machines open and people to run them. I come to you with a proposal that you could do, but at $35/hr, a small job like this, a gap filler. Would you turn down the work because you can't do it at $50/hr, but can make a little, maybe enough to pay the employee and not much more at $35/hr?

Tom

I understand.

We've had these conversations before, a few times before.
Some times, the thread cot to "I won't turn on my machine for that low rate,
rather turn off the lights and go home"
And others, were, "We have open time, we can run it"

The job is simple, might take more than 4 hours, probably about 6 hours. Many of us have bid on jobs that end up taking longer than estimated and our hourly rate is less than desired. I would bid on the job, but new shop won’t be finished till end of November.

I find these type discussions baffling as no one seems to consider the possibility someone else may have a faster way to make something than they do. Everybody starts with the race to the bottom talk, someone is working for beer money, blah,blah, blah. I won't go into details as everybody is assuming I got the job. On a similar discussion a couple years ago I didn't post in a thread on a job I got and the customer posted the price it went for and said they were in the USA. People that have probably never used the type of machine I was using had the part pegged for a 3 min cycle time and claimed some loser living in his mother's basement was making them earning $15 a hour. I was dropping them in 45 seconds and running from bar stock that lasted 2 hours each.

I find these type discussions baffling as no one seems to consider the possibility someone else may have a faster way to make something than they do. Everybody starts with the race to the bottom talk, someone is working for beer money, blah,blah, blah. I won't go into details as everybody is assuming I got the job. On a similar discussion a couple years ago I didn't post in a thread on a job I got and the customer posted the price it went for and said they were in the USA. People that have probably never used the type of machine I was using had the part pegged for a 3 min cycle time and claimed some loser living in his mother's basement was making them earning $15 a hour. I was dropping them in 45 seconds and running from bar stock that lasted 2 hours each.

Not at all.

But what is your set up time ?
And can you amortize it over only 200 parts that pay at max $2 each ?

Apparently you can, and that's a good thing.

But if your taking a loss on the set up, assuming you'll get a big
follow on order every month (leave machine set up for this job)
then that's not cool is it ?

Back