What's new
What's new

Need custom automotive valve lifters machined

abland

Plastic
I'm looking for someone to manufacture a set of 16 (possibly a few more) automotive valve lifters from 8620 steel, which I have. I've attached a picture of the general lifter design but will supply the exact design. Lifter height will be 1.75" with a stem diameter of 0.60" and a base diameter of 1.18". The lifter will need to be drilled and threaded at 3/8 24. The locking adjustment screw is an item I will get from a supplier.

09150.jpg

I'm also looking for someone to machine custom valve guides out of manganese bronze.

Thanks,

Andrew

Since the camshaft will be also made from 8620, the base of the lifters will be micro polished and have a DCL coating on the base. No other hardening will be done to the lifters but I may nitride the cam.

Thanks Cory and others that responded.

Cory, Good talking with you and I look forward with working with you on my part manufacturing.

Andrew

Just a suggesstion- rethink the un heat treated 8620 for the lifters- even with the DLC coating, the cam will beat the crap out of the soft lifter.
If ya don't believe me, ask your cam grinder what he thinks of your plan.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I have talked to my cam grinder as well as a Bonneville racer who is running with the setup I'm trying to obtain. Since the Ford Flathead engine does not have rocker arms, I run with very low spring pressure (80lbs closed, 180lbs open). If it was a rocker arm engine I would rethink having them hardened. I most likely will have them nitrided.

Andrew

If you need someone else I can make them, have no problem with manganese bronze, Why that bronze? It tough and strong but not bearing quality. Have you thought of half hard 4140 for the lifters?

Frank

Those look very similar to the tappets I make for Deere and Cummins engines for raceing applications. I always heat treat you don't want bore wear or gauling in the block to be an issue and I want all the stregth I can get. I don't use 8620 either I do for the cam but I like more impact toughness for the lifter. Good luck with your project.

Attachments

• 031813_21451.jpg
    031813_21451.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 398
  • 031813_21461.jpg
    031813_21461.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 433
In the engines I deal with Chilled iron is factory stock. With high boost and rapid cam rates to take full advantage of the lifter foot diameter it will fail the foot of the lifter as the stress exceedes the strength of cast. I have been making these things for 15+years now and after lots of material and process revisions I am very happy with the results. I have had no failures or wear issues in over 3 years in multiple engines and applications. Sorry for the hijack. Can't wait to hear how your adventure works out.

Interesting project. FWIW I'm doing a street 21 stud flathead and my builder friends say lifters under 55Rc is too soft to hold up even with a cast cam.

Have any photos to post of what you are doing? I'd love to see. Interested in hearing about the outcome too.

I need custom made tappet for a obsolete engine. I have a new tappet but it has no oil holes in it. Can these be drilled after they are already hardened or I will need new ones made.

Those look very similar to the tappets I make for Deere and Cummins engines for raceing applications. I always heat treat you don't want bore wear or gauling in the block to be an issue and I want all the stregth I can get. I don't use 8620 either I do for the cam but I like more impact toughness for the lifter. Good luck with your project.

What material do you use for the lifter?

Back