Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Need New Tubing Vendor

Anyone have a reliable distributor for some .625" x .188" wall DOM 4130n Tube. The ID of .247 to .253 is critical. Customer doesnt wanna pay for gun drilling and reaming. Our current distributor cant produce the tolerances.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

don't have a source for you, but to get the best info, you need to specify what quantity you buy. (obviously you arn't talking mill run amounts) who are you using as a distributor currently, and who have you tried? why are you specing DOM instead of seamless in that?

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If there's a Kilsby Tube Supply out there in the Aland Islands, I have always had good luck with them. They had an outside sales lady who was super sharp.

But +/- .003 on the bore, good luck with that.

4. Likes nissan300ztt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure if they have that size, but my only local supplier for DOM is Metal Supermarkets in Richmond Virginia.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nissan300ztt View Post
    Anyone have a reliable distributor for some .625" x .188" wall DOM 4130n Tube. The ID of .247 to .253 is critical. Customer doesnt wanna pay for gun drilling and reaming. Our current distributor cant produce the tolerances.Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk
    Looks like that is a rare size/wall:
    https://www.webcotube.com/wp-content...ize-Ranges.pdf

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    If there's a Kilsby Tube Supply out there in the Aland Islands, I have always had good luck with them. They had an outside sales lady who was super sharp.

But +/- .003 on the bore, good luck with that.
    Yeah im actually in Pennsylvania. dont know why it showed canada. Yeah we have called over 20 different places and all but one said no about the .249 id. I dont understand how anyone can claim milspec on something they can provide. especially when youre paying an extra $6 a foot for that tolerance.

Im guessing were gonna have to tell the customer the cost is going to increase because we have to get the material gun drilled.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Looks like that is a rare size/wall:
    https://www.webcotube.com/wp-content...ize-Ranges.pdf
    At one point though it wasnt a rare size. Its aircraft grade seamless tube. But about 10 years ago that ID spec sort of went out the window and nobody was able to provide it any longer. So our final customer is rather cheap and doesnt wanna pay for the gun drilling operation. but the part that goes inside the tube needs no slop.
    So hence why the ID is super critical. I just figured id ask if anyone had a supplier they knew of that could handle this request.

9. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah im actually in Pennsylvania. dont know why it showed canada. Yeah we have called over 20 different places and all but one said no about the .249 id. I dont understand how anyone can claim milspec on something they can provide. especially when youre paying an extra $6 a foot for that tolerance.

Im guessing were gonna have to tell the customer the cost is going to increase because we have to get the material gun drilled.
    Seems to be several gun drilling shops in the NW Pa area.
    The local hi-pressure companies sell "pipe" that is simply barstock gundrilled.

Was talking to one machinist, they sold "3-090 pipe" which is 3" o.d. barstock
    with an .090 hole thru it.

IIRC 3' lengths.

11. Likes nissan300ztt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah this jobs been a pain in our ass for 30 years. For 20 years we had no problem getting the spec. But now since most of these tubing mills are offshore. And they just dont have the quality.

Yeah were gonna have to call the customer once McKnight gets back to us on this bad batch of tube. To start getting stuff gun drilled.

The photo is what we have to make 330 of for april. And 10,000 by the end of 2022.
    America needs to start getting on their game and make this tubing within the +/- .002 tolerance again.

13. Likes pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you talked to SSAB? They introduced Docol R8 to replace 4130N, maybe they'd be more interested. They sell direct, not through distributors. Docol R8 Tube - Racing just changed forever - SSAB

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Have you talked to SSAB? They introduced Docol R8 to replace 4130N, maybe they'd be more interested. They sell direct, not through distributors. Docol R8 Tube - Racing just changed forever - SSAB
    Cost comparison to 4130n? Were going to need initially 209 feet. But over 11,000 feet for the total order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cost comparison to 4130n? Were going to need initially 209 feet. But over 11,000 feet for the total order.

I haven't bought any yet myself, but my friends who use it say the cost is comparable at small quantities (100-200 feet)

17. Likes nissan300ztt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you tried Wicks Aircraft by chance? They have pointed me in the right direction several times, even when they did not stock a particular tube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did you try Superior Tube? They would have been able to supply what you need back when, don't know about now, and don't know about minimum orders or sales only through distributors. My dad was an engineer there from about 1963-2012, and I worked there a couple of summers, plus tagging around after my dad at other times.

20. Likes nissan300ztt liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find it sad that since all this material is made offshore now there is no consistency. One batch might be in tolerance and one batch later jts .030" over

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Another choice

We get chrome and tubing from teamtubellc, out of Chicago. Give them a try. teamtubellc.com

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone have a reliable distributor for some .625" x .188" wall DOM 4130n Tube. The ID of .247 to .253 is critical. Customer doesnt wanna pay for gun drilling and reaming. Our current distributor cant produce the tolerances.

You might try Tioga pipe they have surprised me with different materials over the years