What's new
What's new

Where to find Machining jobs

Jantzen

Plastic
I am currently an Engineering student and have spent over a year in a large machine shop and really enjoy the work. I have a somewhat good understanding of the machines and the software that it takes to use them. What I dont know is where machine shops find the work. Is most of it on the internet, word of mouth, what? I hope to start a small prototype shop, something I can run mostly by myself. Its my first time on this website, and if this has already been answered please direct me to where I can read the follow-ups.

Thanks

I thought there is so much work going on in Ohio, its hard not to come across a bunch of RFQ's. Where would you suggest moving off to?

Believe it or not, around this area, machine shops are doing well, besides the fact that they cant really find very much good help at times. It pry helps that Crown Lift Trucks is located in New Bremen and has spread into northwestern Ohio. They do a lot of in house work but becuase business is good for them right now they have to farm a lot of jobs out.

I take it when you say china and Mexico that you guys already have employees working for you. Some of us can't even keep one guy busy and get his bills payed( "he" being the owner operator and everything else)

Some of us can't even keep one guy busy and get his bills payed( "he" being the owner operator and everything else)

You're right. There is defenitely a machining season up here. I know some shops have to lay-off most of there help in the winter and hire or find new help come spring and summer. Its very up and down, unless you can diversify enough to keep jobs comin in. Off course half the battle isnt so much in getting the machines its finding the people that can efficiently run them.

You're right. Their service parts are way to expensive. But I am trying to fix that. Right now Im working on some stuff that will decrease wear on certain parts of trucks, but I doubt the consumer will see any decrease in the price. I've priced Crown trucks myself (used ones)sold by Crown and they can be " a bit" expensive.

It seems like your already working on whats gonna keep your shop busy. Just don't start with a bang and die with a fizz. Hiring employees you can't keep and machines that you can't pay off on time are not a wise idea.

Back