What's new
What's new

Need a shop with sizable XY travel for aluminum plates (milling,drilling,tapping)

GaryLa

Plastic
I have a job with six pieces of aluminum flat bar stock (10" W x 1" H). I need 6 copies of the job, possibly 12.

Three of the pieces are rather long: 32", 24" and 30". These pieces need a couple dozen M4x0.7 drill/tap, several 1/4-20 drill/tap. They need to be fly-cut flat on both sides. Two 0.100" slots, 3/4" wide need to be milled lengthwise.

The other three pieces need similar work but are much shorter: 12", 14" and 8".

Must be accurate equipment!!!

Reply here or by PM and I'll give you my cell and/or email.

Thanks in advance.

I would think that a Blanchard would yield much better results on your "milled flat".

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I'd be interested to know what "flycut flat" and "must be accurate equipment" really mean, in the context of tolerances.

Thanks for the responses.

I've never had a blanchard grinding shop guarantee me anything better than +- 0.001.

I realize surface grinding would be the ultimate (even better than blanchard), but I'm trying to simplify operations. Perhaps I've been lied to, but I've been told by more than one shop that they can get 0.001" or under (not plus/minus 001) on their mill with a carbide-insert fly-cutter.

If someone has the equipment in-house, I would entertain a quote using surface grinding. I realize I've posted no drawings yet, but I got called to a customer site and will be away until Tuesday.

Gary

If you doo go that way - please let us know the results afterwards eh?
I would be very interested to hear if they actually succeeded with that on a plate that size.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Hi Gary,
I have a big, accurate machine and a badass fly cutter. Are you looking for +/- 0.0005" on thickness or on flatness? If flatness, how will the parts be restrained while being measured? What grade of aluminum do you need?
Thanks

Better close the windowshades.. A peek of sunlight or a draft of air will change a 30 inch piece of aluminum by more than a thou.. Ever thought of using a big chunk of granite?

Back