What's new
What's new

Need source for Black Oxide

Flash Gordon

Aluminum
I have a small batch of parts that need black oxide finish. There is no spec listed.
I'm looking for a place in the Chicago area that will do a good job and can turn these around in less than 2 weeks.
Anyone have a recommendation?
Thanks

I don't know the chemistry of that particular Caswell kit, but most of the pre-packaged small kits of "black oxide" that work at room temperature or sort-of-warm hotplate temperatures are actually a selenium-based black, which is quite different from true black oxide finish. It's not nearly as durable, for starters.

Does the customer want tough as nails, or just "not shiny?"

I don't know of any in that area, but when I wanted to find a supplier back before I retired I would pull up google maps and zoom into the area or region you want to look, and then type in black oxide supplier in the search engine, companies that do that type of finish will pop up in that area. Pretty cool feature actually, I liked it better than just Google

Are you the Flash Gordon in the world of lapping machines?

Your profile says no, but he is from Chi-Town as well I think?
What's the odds?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

There are three basic types of black oxide so beware when shopping.
Cold, mid temp and the true hot.
Durability and costs go up with each step.
Interesting is that they are all basically controlled rusting.
Same/same applies to gun bluing. In my house with lead water pipes dad had the tanks in the basement for hot blue and a vent fan. It was neato.
Bob

I make some small parts that need black oxide. First time around I sent them to Hale Performance Coatings in Toledo, OH. Based on this one experience I would recommend them. They did a good job. I know they aren't in Chicago but regionally close sort-of.

Since that time I bought the chemicals to do my own small scale hot black oxide. It's probably not worth it but I make these parts in batches of 3-400 and that many will just about fit in a one cup measuring cup, maybe not quite but close. Lots of work still. So just to mitigate risk and manage the schedule a little better I do them. Nasty process though.

Back