What's new
What's new

One off small project

Iron Ed

Plastic
Hi all. First, let me apologize for the silly name. The spambot or whatever didn't like the first one.

Anyway, I would like to obtain this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Incitatus/barrel.jpg

In a nutshell, it is a barrel for a ca. 1450 English Bombard. The plans (I am not boring you with the carriage and so on) were drawn up by the Royal Armouries some time ago and given that I have a number of smallish models, I thought that reproducing this one would be interesting.

The size is open to discussion. I figgur that the diameter ought to be 3" give or take and that everything else would follow from that. I can annotate the print with the dimensions depending on what is decided.

The important thing (well, not very important in a cosmic sense) is that the print be followed reasonably closely. That is to say that I want to end up with an historically accurate model.

email me your thoughts or post them here.

Thanks.

Ed

Oh ... the material should be steel. I would like to chemically brown it so we need to be sure that the material decided upon will take the process.

As a kid I built a couple of cannon. Made them out of plaster of Paris. Not so strong, but will fire a golf ball about 100 yards. Makes a great sound and a big cloud of black smoke. The big reason for plaster, safety. If I'm gonna get hit in the head with a piece of cannon, plaster seems less scary.

Also, cheap, easy and you can whittle all kinds of fancywork into it. Paint it brown if you want to.

How many do you want made? If the dia. is 3" then overall length is bout 5 1/2" is it for shooting? What projectile will you use? Why not size it for golf balls or tennis balls,

Back