What's new
What's new

Pre RFQ (Feasibility) Fork Piece

Stephenof

Plastic
Hello, I'm new here (should I have posted that someplace else?)

My company has been tasked by our # 1 or 2 customer to provide a quote for kit that contains (along with molded plastic which is our core
competency and small hardware type stuff), a strength part in metal. I am intentionally going to remain vague on the details here, but will share
more in direct email communication. Their released drawing of this as the material being an Iron Nickel type powdered metal. The annual usage for
this is only expected to be from ~1000 to < 5000 which makes it a hard sell for PM. I'm exploring the option of direct machining from plate
or bar stock. It appears to me from the physical property data that I saw that the strength values of the powdered (ferrous) metal can easily
be exceeded by aluminum, e.g. 7075-T651

This metal part is overall ~ 4" Tall, 2 1/2" + wide, and ~ 1 9/16" + (think metric, round numbers) deep. Think of the depth direction as
the Z direction, with the x and y being an extrude profile in cad lingo, with a profile of a squat tuning fork with a 'T' base
versus a long handle. Another example for visual of the profile is mid section through a narrow shaped stemmed gobblet. So I don't
know the limits, but it might be a good water jet candidate on the profile. After this there would be some machining still of faces
of the fork tines. Then it has 6 drilled and tapped holes. Last but not least, it receives powder coating, 4 colors. Tolerances
are for the most part generous (+/- ~ .020")

Have I got any takers?

Steve, aka Cheddah

Back