What's new
What's new

Reverse RFQ, 2 axis lathe work

as9100d

Stainless
I bought a shop that had some cnc machines and since I can't seem to sell any of it... Let's put it to work.

I have several thousand feet of 4140,304ss,17-4ss, 6061 and 7075 aluminum in 3/4", 1", 1.25", and 2" round with missing or lost material certs.

I'd be willing to run decent qtys of parts for labor only and give the material for free just to keep it running.

Not interested in short qty runs. This lathe is fairly automated.

I do have the ability to do mil work but I'd prefer not to. I'll take a look though.

Price wise, provide a target price and I'll keep it out of the parent company. If I have to quote it and it runs through the erp,prices are guaranteed to be high because of the iso/as9100 overhead.

If the post isn't allowed, please move it or delete it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Most people that are willing to work cheap are small operations just starting out, this has to be a first, and I guarantee will not be well received.

Most people that are willing to work cheap are small operations just starting out, this has to be a first, and I guarantee will not be well received.
I'm not willing to work cheap, I'm willing to provide free material and there is a difference.

This material is taking up a huge amount of space and I have 2 horizontals and a linear pallet pool on the way and may very well be buying another HMC with lpp.

I've exhausted fb/craigslist on selling the material and machines and have had zero luck short of dealers wanting the machines for $5000 each.

2 mills are getting shrink wrapped and moved outside and I'd like to get rid of the material, seems easy enough to give it away while getting paid for labor eh?

I will be curious when others chime it. The only time I saw offers of free material on RFQs were at that website where people build their own CNC machines, and it was from guys obviously doing side work and "borrowing" the material from their day job.

I will be curious when others chime it. The only time I saw offers of free material on RFQs were at that website where people build their own CNC machines, and it was from guys obviously doing side work and "borrowing" the material from their day job.
Hence the only doing substantial part run part of the deal. Not going to get rid of material doing 10 piece orders.

Also dawned on me that I have 1/4" 304ss and 2.75" black name brand delrin

Hence the only doing substantial part run part of the deal. Not going to get rid of material doing 10 piece orders.

Also dawned on me that I have 1/4" 304ss and 2.75" black name brand delrin

Have fun with than 304SS if it is from unknown origin. I have got some bad small diameter stuff lately so I started getting certs on all 300 series stainless. Fortunately for me it was on short run jobs so I just slowed the feeds and speeds. I was seriously taking up to 10 minutes to make parts that should have ran in 3. Lucky I was doing a couple 8-24 piece orders and they were medical parts so the money still ended up ok. If I had a bunch of 1/4" 304 stainless from unknown origin I definitely would not intend to use it on long run jobs. I would keep it for short runs or staking tomato plants.

If that Delrin is marked I am sure it would sell quickly right here.

Have fun with than 304SS if it is from unknown origin. I have got some bad small diameter stuff lately so I started getting certs on all 300 series stainless. Fortunately for me it was on short run jobs so I just slowed the feeds and speeds. I was seriously taking up to 10 minutes to make parts that should have ran in 3. Lucky I was doing a couple 8-24 piece orders and they were medical parts so the money still ended up ok. If I had a bunch of 1/4" stainless from unknown origin I definitely would not intend to use it on long run jobs. I would keep it for shirt runs or staking tomato plants.

If that Delrin is marked I am sure it would sell quickly right here.
I know the origin, we only buy from 2 material supplier. Just over the years, asset tags have not stayed with the materials.

Ill check today on the delrin and see if it's marked. Any plastics we do has to be name brand per the print.

I know the origin, we only buy from 2 material supplier. Just over the years, asset tags have not stayed with the materials.

Ill check today on the delrin and see if it's marked. Any plastics we do has to be name brand per the print.

I thought the 304 came from a shop you bought, I got confused.

Read the post again

Machines I can't sell and want to put the lathe to work.

Unless you want to buy these machines for a smoking deal lol

Did you list the machines here?

I even offered to Include a po for $140,000 in labor only work for buying them all and no one was interested.

A few questions just to get an idea.

What is the minimum run size around to get an idea for the scale you are looking to move?

Does the machine have a live c axis or is it just for turning currently?

Hourly rate for lathe work?

Thanks, I wouldn't have orders of 10 pieces but if you were interested in doing runs in the 100s range I would have some work to bring your way.

Andrew

A few questions just to get an idea.

What is the minimum run size around to get an idea for the scale you are looking to move?

Does the machine have a live c axis or is it just for turning currently?

Hourly rate for lathe work?

Thanks, I wouldn't have orders of 10 pieces but if you were interested in doing runs in the 100s range I would have some work to bring your way.

Andrew
I'd like in the per bar range so use a whole bar of material minimum.

Rate is $60 an hour if we keep it out of my erp.

No live tool, but I do have a 3 axis mill sitting next to it that could be used for milling. I'll just have to run the parts since I don't have employees at this shop, not ideal for but I won't complain too much.

Most shop owners would be loading this material into a dumpster before THEY ran the machine to get rid of it.

Most shop owners would be loading this material into a dumpster before THEY ran the machine to get rid of it.
Sounds terrible....one of the first rules of business is obtain and increase cash flow.... Getting scrap prices for material isn't cash flow.

Giving it away and keeping an otherwise idle machine running is cash flow.

Back