Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Hawaii
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default RFP for Machining Prototype Balanced ( XLR ) Audio Connectors

I'd like to obtain a quote for machining some prototype XLR ( Balanced ) audio connectors from a shop that does small jobs or maybe even someone who is retired and has machinery at home to lower my costs as a retired audio hobbyist.

Here is a link to show you one brand of XLR connectors. My design is more simplistic.

https://paragonsns2.imgix.net/wp-con...?w=1024&h=1024

These connectors are for use by myself and fellow audiophiles in Hawaii as a hobby so I don't expect to manufacture them in any great quantity for sale to the public. No one in the industry uses the amount of wire we use in our audio interconnects. The design is specific to our needs. I might only produce another 50 sets in a production run, and that depends on my fellow audiophiles expressing an interest in buying them.

My brother, a former machinist for the Fed in PA, did the design on Turbocad and made proof of concept parts on our dad's old lathe and drill press from the 1950's / 1960's with nylon, brass, and aluminum, whatever he had available.

One "set" of connectors consists of 2 male and 2 female connectors. Each connector has a body, a center post or end cap, both made with delrin, and 3 C110 101% IACS conductive copper pins. This "set" is used to make one pair of left and right channel audio interconnects.

It is my understanding that cutting the soft copper pins might require a CNC machine running at 6K to 8K rpm.

I only need one or 2 sets for actual prototype testing, but I know that machine setup is the most costly part of a job so the cost of one or 2 sets would probably be higher than doing the 6 sets I need for my own audio system plus 2 extra male connectors for my turntable.

I can provide a male and female audio component XLR connector to the shop to assist in verifying that the parts design is correct. Proof of concept parts fit the corresponding audio component connectors well.

Thanks,

Fuelie

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fuelie,
    Unfortunately what your asking for is way more expensive than anything commercially produced in volume by 100X.
    If your brother has access to a lathe, even if it isn't a high rpm one, that is your best bet.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,

Good amount of information, I think I can help you since I do machining and work with electronics.

Can you just e-mail me at [email protected] with your name and we can continue the conversation.

Regards,

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe what HiNi is saying is that your items machined in a low volume will be very, very expensive. A quick glance at the picture looks like a part that has parts that are cast or molded in high volume combined with machined parts. You will need to find someone retired and bored who will work for a six pack and a pizza a day to make your parts.

5. Likes HiNi liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have worked in electronics with emphasis on commercial audio systems all my professional career, and as a result am very familiar with balanced lines and XLR connectors. I assume the reason you need a special type of XLR made is the wish to use much larger conductors and resulting larger cable size than is common in balanced line arrangements. There is a demand for ever increasing conductor size in high end HiFi audio. May I ask what is the size of the conductors and overall jacket in the wire you intend to use?

7. Likes MetalCarnage liked this post