What's new
What's new

RFQ 1/4" dowell pins 316L

gundog

Hot Rolled
I am looking for someone to supply me with 1/4" dia x 1.25" long 316L SS dwell pins they are not a precision part but I would like them to be within .001" in diam and .010" in length they need a small chamfer on each end. Quantity 400 on the first order I will need them 400 at a time 4 to 5 times a year. Shoot me an email and we can discuss it further.

I am in WA State close to Portland, OR I would prefer someone close by and no overseas quotes please.

[email protected]

This seems like it would be an off the shelf kind of item since McMaster Carr stocks them I would look for a local fastener company

McMaster Carr is pretty high and they don't need to be precision ground they won't be used for locating in precision holes. I was hoping someone with a lathe or screw machine could make them fairly cheap if not I will source them from McMaster Carr. Bolt stock or just standard 316L rod would work. The part is used as a tension mechanism in the side of a dovetail slot.

McMaster Carr is pretty high and they don't need to be precision ground they won't be used for locating in precision holes. I was hoping someone with a lathe or screw machine could make them fairly cheap if not I will source them from McMaster Carr. Bolt stock or just standard 316L rod would work. The part is used as a tension mechanism in the side of a dovetail slot.

Got a "Target Price" ?

So if a person bought cold finish 1/4 stock spec'd at +/-.001, mill finish on the O.D. would be ok, without turning?

McMaster Carr is making a profit on a part supplied to them at a sales price of $1.83. A markup of 50% is not unusual in many supply chains. You need to find out who is supplying McMaster Carr. Not sure how you'd do that...

McMaster Carr is making a profit on a part supplied to them at a sales price of $1.83. A markup of 50% is not unusual in many supply chains. You need to find out who is supplying McMaster Carr. Not sure how you'd do that...

McMaster isn't buying 400 at a time.

If the price is not right I will make them using the following method. I make another pin this way. I buy the rod stock 316L bundle them 10 at a time put hose clamps around the bundle cut to length with a manual band saw 10 parts at a time, chuck each one in a drill and smooth the ends adding a slight chamfer. I don't want to make hundreds this way but at $1.83 it makes sense to do so. These are not super precision parts and they will be inside an assembly that can't be seen in the finished part. I would share a drawing of how the part is used but I will be filing for a patent on it so without a non disclosure signed I won't share any drawings. The parts is dirt simple at least this part of it. The pin will need to fit inside a slot cut by a 1/4" EM and it doesn't have to be a close tolerance fit.

I appreciate the advice but I am looking for quotes if it doesn't make money for you to make them that is OK I don't have a CNC lathe or screw machine but maybe someone out there does that doesn't have enough work for it that could make these for a price that makes sense for me not to use the method above.

Mike

Thank you to those who replied I have a local company that will make them and have them for me in a week. .80 each. That makes more sense than my manual approach. I may have a flange part that I will shop out soon. Is this an acceptable way to get quotes? The next part I will provide a drawing.

Well if you want to pay 5cents more on each one, be my guest. shipping via USPS small flat rate box was only $7.90.

Thank you to those who replied I have a local company that will make them and have them for me in a week. .80 each. That makes more sense than my manual approach. I may have a flange part that I will shop out soon. Is this an acceptable way to get quotes? The next part I will provide a drawing.

For stuff like this I would check out Pivot Pins (I've used their products in the past) and Wilson Mfg. (which I haven't, but am about to). They do a bunch of standard, non-ground pin-like objects in various materials and may have what you need inexpensively and off the shelf.

I am surprised that if 1/4 dia. +/- .001 and they made for you only .80$ a piece ....Just material is already cost that much.

You need to find another material supplier. Even Online Metals with their cut charges and over priced shipping would be about 25 cents each for material. Their 316 at 1/4" size is spec'd at +/-.001.

In all honesty even if it was $13 for material, I would want to see larger quantities before setting up one of my swiss machines to make these.

I have on occasion for an existing customer fit smaller runs in, but i'll fit them in at my convenience when when I have similar set-ups in one of the machines. I realize that all the tools needed for this will almost always be tools that have a home in the machine, but just switching all the collets/guide bushing out to a new bar size, dialing it in, etc will take as much time as running the 400 pieces.

These low dollar parts that drop off the swiss machine in low double digit seconds cannot be profitable in smaller quantities imo.

If this came through my shop, I would no quote or suggest we run a years worth at a time at a minimum.

I would say if you found someone willing to run them for $0.80/per in batches of 400 pieces, with a week turn around....Thank them and don't piss them off.

Back