RFQ 1/4" dowell pins 316L
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default RFQ 1/4" dowell pins 316L

I am looking for someone to supply me with 1/4" dia x 1.25" long 316L SS dwell pins they are not a precision part but I would like them to be within .001" in diam and .010" in length they need a small chamfer on each end. Quantity 400 on the first order I will need them 400 at a time 4 to 5 times a year. Shoot me an email and we can discuss it further.

I am in WA State close to Portland, OR I would prefer someone close by and no overseas quotes please.

[email protected]

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This seems like it would be an off the shelf kind of item since McMaster Carr stocks them I would look for a local fastener company

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

McMaster Carr is pretty high and they don't need to be precision ground they won't be used for locating in precision holes. I was hoping someone with a lathe or screw machine could make them fairly cheap if not I will source them from McMaster Carr. Bolt stock or just standard 316L rod would work. The part is used as a tension mechanism in the side of a dovetail slot.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gundog View Post
    McMaster Carr is pretty high and they don't need to be precision ground they won't be used for locating in precision holes. I was hoping someone with a lathe or screw machine could make them fairly cheap if not I will source them from McMaster Carr. Bolt stock or just standard 316L rod would work. The part is used as a tension mechanism in the side of a dovetail slot.
    Got a "Target Price" ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Precision ground pins are about $1.83 ea for 316 and about half that for 18-8 from McMaster Carr I would expect much less than that.

6. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

US minimum wage will prevent US mfg of this pin. Suggest you look overseas if you have to have parts for less than $1.00 each

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So if a person bought cold finish 1/4 stock spec'd at +/-.001, mill finish on the O.D. would be ok, without turning?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

McMaster Carr is making a profit on a part supplied to them at a sales price of $1.83. A markup of 50% is not unusual in many supply chains. You need to find out who is supplying McMaster Carr. Not sure how you'd do that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels17 View Post
    McMaster Carr is making a profit on a part supplied to them at a sales price of $1.83. A markup of 50% is not unusual in many supply chains. You need to find out who is supplying McMaster Carr. Not sure how you'd do that...
    McMaster isn't buying 400 at a time.

11. Likes digger doug, HiNi, BugRobotics liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quantity 400 on the first order I will need them 400 at a time 4 to 5 times a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    McMaster isn't buying 400 at a time.
    Suggest the OP pulls in the orders for a full year (1600-2000) to get to
    the desired price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the price is not right I will make them using the following method. I make another pin this way. I buy the rod stock 316L bundle them 10 at a time put hose clamps around the bundle cut to length with a manual band saw 10 parts at a time, chuck each one in a drill and smooth the ends adding a slight chamfer. I don't want to make hundreds this way but at $1.83 it makes sense to do so. These are not super precision parts and they will be inside an assembly that can't be seen in the finished part. I would share a drawing of how the part is used but I will be filing for a patent on it so without a non disclosure signed I won't share any drawings. The parts is dirt simple at least this part of it. The pin will need to fit inside a slot cut by a 1/4" EM and it doesn't have to be a close tolerance fit.

I appreciate the advice but I am looking for quotes if it doesn't make money for you to make them that is OK I don't have a CNC lathe or screw machine but maybe someone out there does that doesn't have enough work for it that could make these for a price that makes sense for me not to use the method above.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you to those who replied I have a local company that will make them and have them for me in a week. .80 each. That makes more sense than my manual approach. I may have a flange part that I will shop out soon. Is this an acceptable way to get quotes? The next part I will provide a drawing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the quick update, as usual these days I just miss.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well if you want to pay 5cents more on each one, be my guest. shipping via USPS small flat rate box was only $7.90.

Thank you to those who replied I have a local company that will make them and have them for me in a week. .80 each. That makes more sense than my manual approach. I may have a flange part that I will shop out soon. Is this an acceptable way to get quotes? The next part I will provide a drawing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For stuff like this I would check out Pivot Pins (I've used their products in the past) and Wilson Mfg. (which I haven't, but am about to). They do a bunch of standard, non-ground pin-like objects in various materials and may have what you need inexpensively and off the shelf.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alan speyrer View Post
    Well if you want to pay 5cents more on each one, be my guest. shipping via USPS small flat rate box was only $7.90.
    It wasn't the shipping it is because they are local and they deliver free this is going to be something I buy over and over so having it local is the upside.