RFQ 1/4" dowell pins 316L - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alan speyrer View Post
    Material for this job, cost me $13.00! And that’s from a supplier a few miles from my shop.
    316L for less than $2 a pound for only 8 pounds. Did someone make a mistake?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In all honesty even if it was $13 for material, I would want to see larger quantities before setting up one of my swiss machines to make these.

I have on occasion for an existing customer fit smaller runs in, but i'll fit them in at my convenience when when I have similar set-ups in one of the machines. I realize that all the tools needed for this will almost always be tools that have a home in the machine, but just switching all the collets/guide bushing out to a new bar size, dialing it in, etc will take as much time as running the 400 pieces.

These low dollar parts that drop off the swiss machine in low double digit seconds cannot be profitable in smaller quantities imo.

If this came through my shop, I would no quote or suggest we run a years worth at a time at a minimum.

I would say if you found someone willing to run them for $0.80/per in batches of 400 pieces, with a week turn around....Thank them and don't piss them off.

3. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    He picks up his material at night.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I left out the part where I had some of this material left over from a job two months ago, LOL! I gotta keep y’all guessin.

6. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Alloy Mcgraw View Post
    In all honesty even if it was $13 for material, I would want to see larger quantities before setting up one of my swiss machines to make these.

I have on occasion for an existing customer fit smaller runs in, but i'll fit them in at my convenience when when I have similar set-ups in one of the machines. I realize that all the tools needed for this will almost always be tools that have a home in the machine, but just switching all the collets/guide bushing out to a new bar size, dialing it in, etc will take as much time as running the 400 pieces.

These low dollar parts that drop off the swiss machine in low double digit seconds cannot be profitable in smaller quantities imo.

If this came through my shop, I would no quote or suggest we run a years worth at a time at a minimum.

I would say if you found someone willing to run them for $0.80/per in batches of 400 pieces, with a week turn around....Thank them and don't piss them off.

Any chance that you would divulge what Swiss you are running?
    I want to make sure NOT to buy that model.
    I don't $pend near the time you doo changing over apparently.

???

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I quoted .75 cents each and the customer choose to pay .80 cents each for a local company to do them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alloy Mcgraw View Post

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I quoted .75 cents each and the customer choose to pay .80 cents each for a local company to do them.
    you can do .75$ a piece?? are you sure it's +/-.001 NOT +/-.005 I am even more surprised now to see how low/competitive in this business

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sure can, you placing a order?
    And the material was +/-.001”

Quote Originally Posted by jtshop View Post
    you can do .75$ a piece?? are you sure it's +/-.001 NOT +/-.005 I am even more surprised now to see how low/competitive in this business

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sure can, you placing a order?
    And the material was +/-.001”
    I have a little shop in my garage....just looking for works... kakaa

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a little shop in my garage....just looking for works... kakaa

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I think most would bring in the material P&G already in tolerance, and just chamfer & part off.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can't say that I have ever bought 1/4" 316 that I can think of, but according to many posts here - I hafta wonder if there is something special about it?

I can't say how long it's been since I have gotten 303, 304, or 316 in that wasn't already C/L ground to size, as stainless typically has a somewhat pitted surface prior to grinding. Although I can't say that I have paid much attention to what size they actually come in? I did just run several bars of 303 TG&P tho, but I gues I don't know what the tol difference typically is. I only ran TG&P b/c it was on the print.

So - is 1/4" 316 somehow not the same as the bigger sizes?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen some places spec plain old cold finish stainless at +/- .001 in small sizes. True without grinding it has surface pits, but on a lot of applications the finish from the mill is good enough. As far as the price on these parts as most know the more people can do the job the less it will go for. This is one of those jobs anyone with a $500 beater lathe can make, so it will go cheap.

15. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen some places spec plain old cold finish stainless at +/- .001 in small sizes. True without grinding it has surface pits, but on a lot of applications the finish from the mill is good enough.
    Heck, sometimes we order them with flat spots on them....Called a diamond pin....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I think most would bring in the material P&G already in tolerance, and just chamfer & part off.....
    Yes..I know that. But he made .75$ for 1.3inches long..I was wonder how much mat. cost for that size and that tol.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes..I know that. But he made .75$ for 1.3inches long..I was wonder how much mat. cost for that size and that tol.?
    Just go to Online Metals for material pricing if you lack local suppliers, click on technical information to see what the standard for tolerance is on material, they will also quote you a shipping charge. They just changed their website and it is terrible, they also are pricey on shipping. They are pretty competitive with other internet sources for material.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Any chance that you would divulge what Swiss you are running?
    I want to make sure NOT to buy that model.
    I don't $pend near the time you doo changing over apparently.

???

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I have an easy bake oven.

It's not the set up that's long in this case, but the cycle time that's so short in comparison to set-up.

I won't switch over all 4 collets/guidebushing for the machine to run a couple hours, for a few hundred bucks.

IMO these machines aren't built for super short run low dollar parts. That a recipe for constant baby sitting, and in my shop the whole point to having swiss machines is to limit human interaction and baby sitting. I set them up, and they run for days at a minimum, but most likely 1-2 weeks per part.

I would pass on this, and put something on the machine that makes money. Maybe if the volume was in a couple thousand at least.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hear you. If you see that as a profitable job, then so be it. I personally see it as taking away machine time from a job that could actually make money.

We all own different shops, and have different strategies in business. My way of doing things may work for me, and not others.

400 pieces at $0.80/per? There's time quoting, ordering material, material/tooling cost, machine set-up, programming, dialing it in and qualifying the parts, handling/cleaning, packing and shipping....For $320? Not for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's a bloody dowel pin.
    How much programing would you hafta doo on your machines for that to even be considered as a line item?
    Heck, you could run the whole job on nothing more than a cut-off tool.

[second verse, similar as the first]
    It's a bloody dowell pin.
    How much time does it take to dial it in and qualify?

-----------------------

Come on ......
    Ox

22. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    It's a bloody dowel pin.
    How much programing would you hafta doo on your machines for that to even be considered as a line item?
    Heck, you could run the whole job on nothing more than a cut-off tool.

[second verse, similar as the first]
    It's a bloody dowell pin.
    How much time does it take to dial it in and qualify?

-----------------------

Come on ......
    Ox
    There are days where that could be a 15 minute set-up, if that.

24. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are days where that could be a 15 minute set-up, if that.
    Right. But are there days where it wouldn't be 15 minutes? You're giving an absolute best case scenario.

And I did say earlier that I do run smaller runs for existing customers if the machine presently has a similar set-up already. If I have a completely different set-up in the machine and it needs a full switch over, i'm not doing so for a few hundred bucks and a couple hours work.

It's not just programming, but when add up all the time involved with the entire process, most days that isn't worth a few hundred bucks to me. Labor is at a premium in my shop, and better spent on jobs that profit. This just isn't one of them, not on swiss at least.

If it is to you guys, then continue quoting and running stuff like this. Someone has to.