RFQ 1/4" dowell pins 316L - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Alloy Mcgraw View Post
    Right. But are there days where it wouldn't be 15 minutes? You're giving an absolute best case scenario.

And I did say earlier that I do run smaller runs for existing customers if the machine presently has a similar set-up already. If I have a completely different set-up in the machine and it needs a full switch over, i'm not doing so for a few hundred bucks and a couple hours work.

It's not just programming, but when add up all the time involved with the entire process, most days that isn't worth a few hundred bucks to me. Labor is at a premium in my shop, and better spent on jobs that profit. This just isn't one of them, not on swiss at least.

If it is to you guys, then continue quoting and running stuff like this. Someone has to.
    I would say at worse 30 minutes. I have a Swiss, but you don't need one for this job. There would never be a time the tools to run a job like this would not be in the machine. I also have a program library that has programs with loads of variables that would make programming this part a 5 minute or less job. Also with everything set with variables your first part is a good part with a good program. Also I standardize tool positions, and will try to have jobs of like size material follow each other, often the set-up is nothing but loading a program.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I would say at worse 30 minutes. I have a Swiss, but you don't need one for this job. There would never be a time the tools to run a job like this would not be in the machine. I also have a program library that has programs with loads of variables that would make programming this part a 5 minute or less job. Also with everything set with variables your first part is a good part with a good program. Also I standardize tool positions, and will try to have jobs of like size material follow each other, often the set-up is nothing but loading a program.
    I hear you. I stated I was discussing Swiss. I don't own any lathes but Swiss, and I don't feel this is a great job to put on them.

No need to carry on, we simply don't agree. This job is a loser imo.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just Chiming in here cause I have been buying/looking for 316L in .375 and under.

Got 3.00-5.20Lb prices. Smaller than 1/4 is becoming harder to find and the price goes way up. Trying to find it centerless ground is even harder (lead time/price). Got $10-$14Lb for .156 316L this week and still shopping around.

As far as this job goes. I have Cam-Op Brown and Sharpe machines. This would be up my alley if it was a 1500-2000 pc order. Maybe 1k if I like you. If I made 1k parts for a buck a piece I would have 500 bucks in my pocket afterwards. Still not worth my time.

Sounds like a job for a guy in his garage for sure. Let me know when you need 5k-10k

4. Likes digger doug liked this post