What's new
What's new

RFQ - 2 3/4"-4 ACME Stub Thread from 4130 / 4140 Low Carbon steel alloy.

vipermaus

Plastic
We will provide the material, please specify what grade (4130 or 4140) and temper you would prefer for this.

More details:

This is strictly a machining only quote! We will handle all of the processing requirements.

Material:

2-3/4" rd 4130 or 4140 low-carbon steel rod to a Mil-Spec. Temper is negotiable. Material will come in 48" lengths. Please state in quote if you can do the job for a lesser amount by having the material in longer lengths.

Quantity:

We will need pricing for 25, 50 and 100 (48") lengths of this material.

Thread:

Stub Acme, Single Lead, .250 Pitch
Major Dia: 2.753 -.006
Minor Dia: 2.580 -.003
Pitch Dia: 2.6617 -.0249
Thread Thickness @ Pitch Line: .125
Thread Angle: 29°

Please PM me with all quotes or for my email if you would like to send it in direct. Please include the name of your company, as well as your address and other contact info.

Thank you very much for your time!
-Matt

John, do you think they should add a spec for pitch lead accuracy, or for surface finish of thread flanks? If these are for functional parts (like jacking screws) I'd think this would matter, along with a minimum and maximum tensile strength.

John, do you think they should add a spec for pitch lead accuracy, or for surface finish of thread flanks? If these are for functional parts (like jacking screws) I'd think this would matter, along with a minimum and maximum tensile strength.

The spec is per Stub Acme thread. This RFQ is to get a price on the material that we are attempting to make our part out of, as this exact spec of material in Acme Stub Threaded form, is no longer a common item that any supplier that we have gone to stocks or can get a hold of. We are going to be doing our machining out of this material.

This RFQ is to get a price on the material that we are attempting to make our part out of

???

The first post says that you would supply the material and that you are looking for "machining only" quote.

So which is it?

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I see your confusion here... the drawing call out is for 4140/4130 threaded rod to a Mil-Spec. However, while that may have been common when that drawing was made over 30 years ago, it is impossible to find pre-made now. This RFQ is for the creation of said Threaded Rod. Once we have that, we can go and create our parts out of that. Without a specific (and possibly very expensive) change or exception to that part of the drawing, we have to start from the kind of material that the drawing calls out, for the sake of quality.

So my company will supply the rod being turned INTO the threaded rod that I am asking for quotes for the creation of. I hope this helps clarify things!

-Matt

So - you are looking for the whole 4' length to be all one thread?
Or doo you only need a section on one end threaded?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If you need the entire length to be thread I'm betting that most folks will need some extra to hold onto.
Threading a 4' length will be quite a challenge by itself, I can't picture how the average joe will be able to do it without extra to grip on.

We will provide the material, please specify what grade (4130 or 4140) and temper you would prefer for this.

More details:

This is strictly a machining only quote! We will handle all of the processing requirements.

Material:

2-3/4" rd 4130 or 4140 low-carbon steel rod to a Mil-Spec. Temper is negotiable. Material will come in 48" lengths. Please state in quote if you can do the job for a lesser amount by having the material in longer lengths.

Quantity:

We will need pricing for 25, 50 and 100 (48") lengths of this material.

Thread:

Stub Acme, Single Lead, .250 Pitch
Major Dia: 2.753 -.006
Minor Dia: 2.580 -.003
Pitch Dia: 2.6617 -.0249
Thread Thickness @ Pitch Line: .125
Thread Angle: 29°

Please PM me with all quotes or for my email if you would like to send it in direct. Please include the name of your company, as well as your address and other contact info.

Thank you very much for your time!
-Matt

Im super tempted to shoot you a quote if you would supply 5' pieces and thread gages.
However, Vulcan lists this size threaded rod... would most likely be in your best interest to see if they would throw in a different material. But, you might need to buy more than a couple dozen pieces.
FWIW, I know nothing about Vulcan other than finding them during a google search.

Threaded Products - Low Carbon Threaded Rod - Vulcan Steel Products

The 2-3/4-4 that they show looks like standard 60* thread to me.

???

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Im super tempted to shoot you a quote if you would supply 5' pieces and thread gages.
However, Vulcan lists this size threaded rod... would most likely be in your best interest to see if they would throw in a different material. But, you might need to buy more than a couple dozen pieces.
FWIW, I know nothing about Vulcan other than finding them during a google search.

Threaded Products - Low Carbon Threaded Rod - Vulcan Steel Products

Supplying larger pieces should not be a problem! I just need to know what size. The problem I have found in trying to find this particular type of threaded rod is finding it in both the thread type needed (ACME Stub) AND the correct material that is to the correct spec. I did find plenty of B7 threaded rod, which I understand is much the same as 4140, but again, we have to be able to get the right material spec as well. Another limiting factor is people don't seem to make it quite that large and the steel itself has to be DFARS compliant, which is where things can get tough. I will check out Vulcan, though. Thanks for the info!

Ox said:
So - you are looking for the whole 4' length to be all one thread?
Or doo you only need a section on one end threaded?

Ox, we are in fact looking for the whole length to be threaded. As for areas to hold on to, I just need to know what people need to do the job. I do realize that some of these variables, such as hold areas, can vary greatly from machinist to machinist, let alone shop to shop! As I
said in the initial RFQ (but perhaps wasn't clear enough about), we are looking for at least 25 each 48" pieces, and even up to a 100 each pieces.

-Matt

If MM10 thinks that he can doo it - great, but if not, I would think that you would need to get this rolled.
I get my studs made at All Ohio Threaded Rod in Cleveland, near Dead Man's Curve.

I don't know if they can go that big or not, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.
I would expect that you would need to pay a hefty tooling charge tho, but who knows?

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I get my studs made at All Ohio Threaded Rod in Cleveland, near Dead Man's Curve.

There's a shop there ?

The only thing I see when going thru, is large warning signs (with flashing lights)
Idjit drivers coming across from (5) other lanes, and the impending corner...:crazy:

If MM10 thinks that he can doo it - great, but if not, I would think that you would need to get this rolled.

I don't know if they can go that big or not, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.
I would expect that you would need to pay a hefty tooling charge tho, but who knows?

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Their website (All-Ohio Threaded Rod Capabilities) says their limit on Acme is 2", but maybe they can stretch things for a Stub thread.

Contact Nook industries, they make large dia rolled ACME leadscrews, it wouldn't hurt to ask if they can make a size they don't list

Back