What's new
What's new

RFQ 2 ea. main bevel gear and matching pinion bevel gear

saucerdesigner

Plastic
Reaching out to bevel gear capable shops for quotes on a short run 4pcs. total. 2 identical sets of matching main and pinion bevel gears for a RC model VTOL aircraft project. CAD models of the gears are currently available online in .3dm, .dwg, .dxf and .x_t format.
If interested please state your preferred CAD file format and I'll see about putting it up online and send you the link.
Thanks in advance.
SD

A catalog part or a modified one will not suffice?
I can bid, but won't be cheap.

Reaching out to bevel gear capable shops for quotes on a short run 4pcs. total. 2 identical sets of matching main and pinion bevel gears for a RC model VTOL aircraft project. CAD models of the gears are currently available online in .3dm, .dwg, .dxf and .x_t format.
If interested please state your preferred CAD file format and I'll see about putting it up online and send you the link.
Thanks in advance.
SD

If you want them made correctly, you should probably let candidates know what material and Pitch you are shooting for, ahead of time. Some people have larger machines. Some people have smaller ones. You might even disclose what kind of Bevel Gear your are looking for, too.

you should probably let candidates know what material and Pitch you are shooting for, ahead of time. Some people have larger machines. Some people have smaller ones.

When he said R/C airplane, I figured they were kinda small, so I kept my mouth shut. But for slightly larger gears, after doing all the calcs (that's not free either) I figure four hours to set up for roughing, then another two to change over for finishing. If they aren't miter gears, same deal for the mating parts. And that doesn't count making mandrels to hold the parts, either.

So didn't seem like this was gonna go anywhere.

When he said R/C airplane, I figured they were kinda small, so I kept my mouth shut. But for slightly larger gears, after doing all the calcs (that's not free either) I figure four hours to set up for roughing, then another two to change over for finishing. If they aren't miter gears, same deal for the mating parts. And that doesn't count making mandrels to hold the parts, either.

So didn't seem like this was gonna go anywhere.

Nope, not an airplane. I said VTOL aircraft. The V stands for Vertical. Airplane land is a category and class of aircraft which require a takeoff and landing ground roll to attain safe airspeed for flight and to dissipate speed upon landing. Airplane sea category and class require the same but on water.
VTOL aircraft, including helicopters and tilt-rotor aircraft such as the V-22 Osprey, take off and land vertically requiring no ground roll.
The OD of the main bevel gear is 12.4 inch, so not so small.

Last edited:
If you want them made correctly, you should probably let candidates know what material and Pitch you are shooting for, ahead of time. Some people have larger machines. Some people have smaller ones. You might even disclose what kind of Bevel Gear your are looking for, too.

It's a straight bevel gear. The main bevel gear is to be made of Delrin 150, per ASTM D792 or equivalent. The pinion bevel gear is to be made of 6061-T6 aluminum. Thanks
SD

Last edited:
The OD of the main bevel gear is 12.4 inch, so not so small.
Now we're talking real money. By the way, you said (and I quote)"RC model VTOL aircraft project". We know what VTOL is and we also know what RC is and we also know that generally you aren't talking 12" parts in a radio controlled model.

Anyway, Amarillo Gear can cut your teeth but it will definitely be several thousand dollars. And they should probably be ground, all aircraft stuff is. You're talking 8 hours of setups per gear, not per set, and usually the first part needs some adjustments, so there's even more time and extra blanks to pay for. In fact they should be spiral bevels and ground, most aircraft stuff is. Just the work sheets from Gleason for that is in the hundreds.

Maybe better off to try to find someone with a DMG to mill the teeth. For onesy-twosies it ought to be cheaper.

We have a couple customers who can do it here in China, maybe half what it costs in the US, but I'm not holding my breath.

A candidate has raised an issue regarding the inside diameter of 3640_3.20_Main_Gear. The inside diameter should have been 11.900". All my attempts at correcting it have failed in the rush to avoid making enemies of you folks, my suppliers. It is not a critical dimension. Please make the part as depicted or with an ID of 11.900" at your discretion. Apologies for the inconvenience.
SD

Last edited:
For what it's worth (not much), I never like using aluminum in a "rubbing" application, and against even Delrin you'll get some wear on both parts from use.

If you must use Al, use a harder alloy like 7075-T6, and have a surface finish callout on the teeth that limits how rough they are.

there are a few gear shops near me in Cambridge ontario, but id bet each gear will be a few thousand to do, they have made huge gears for wind turbines etc.
id be like post above, worried about the wear between the 2 dissimilar materials

there are a few gear shops near me in Cambridge ontario, but id bet each gear will be a few thousand to do, they have made huge gears for wind turbines etc.
id be like post above, worried about the wear between the 2 dissimilar materials

If RAPID Gear does it, the price will be 4-5x's the competition. If True Gear or Premier do it, the price will be correct.

For what it's worth (not much), I never like using aluminum in a "rubbing" application, and against even Delrin you'll get some wear on both parts from use.

If you must use Al, use a harder alloy like 7075-T6, and have a surface finish callout on the teeth that limits how rough they are.

Thank you. This is a proof-of-concept prototype and will be operated primarily to demonstrate that the device continues to climb out of ground effect. I'll bet other changes will need to be made if she survives her maiden flight. If you could recommend a surface finish value, I'll include that in the next iteration.

Very much appreciated.
SD

Last edited:
Thank you. I requested a quote from Rush Gear out of PA and I'm still recovering from the shock of it. I'll search for True Gear and Premier.

Thanks again,
SD

Thank you. This is a proof-of-concept prototype and will be operated only long enough to demonstrate that the device continues to climb out of ground effect. If you could recommend a surface finish value, I'll include that in the next iteration.

Very much appreciated.

Perhaps 16 microinch or better? It's tough to judge without knowing more.

This page may give you useful information: Machining surface finish chart, conversion, comparator, method, degree, Ra, Rz, RMS

Perhaps 16 microinch or better? It's tough to judge without knowing more.

This page may give you useful information: Machining surface finish chart, conversion, comparator, method, degree, Ra, Rz, RMS

Thank you. The pinion will be turning at 30,000 RPM at full-throttle to produce 6000 RPM for the main gear (design point). I just got off the phone with an old friend who is the semi-retired CEO of Hall Manufacturing in Lubbock, TX. He suggested a surface roughness of 32 RMS. I think he meant 35.2 RMS Does that sound reasonable?

Back