What's new
What's new

RFQ - (2) Machined Aluminum Parts

JLeather

Cast Iron
Looking for a pair of the attached parts. 6061 aluminum, designed to be machined as a single part up until the .375" counterbore, then slit into 2 pieces and finished. Can supply models in addition to print (also higher res print, could only post this due to forum limitations). Could be a manual or CNC part.

Riser.JPG

Could those internal 0.125" radii be increased? Also, what are the surface finish requirements? Can this be made from 2" wide stock and the outer edges of the clamp left raw extrusion? Is the threaded hole depth a minimum call (do you care if it is deeper as long as it doesn't break through)?

Could those internal 0.125" radii be increased? Also, what are the surface finish requirements? Can this be made from 2" wide stock and the outer edges of the clamp left raw extrusion? Is the threaded hole depth a minimum call (do you care if it is deeper as long as it doesn't break through)?

The .125" internal radii I put in so it could possibly be made manually. For a CNC operation those could even go up to .290" if you wanted to profile the whole thing with a 1/2' end mill. For the 1/4"-20 threaded holes I would like as much thread as possible in the bottom piece without punching out. The upper part should actually be a .257" clearance hole down to the slit. Nothing is critical except the .875" hole because it has to grip a .875" piece of tube, so I would say that oughta be +/-.002".

machined as a single part up until the .375" counterbore, then slit into 2 pieces and finished.

I think it would be easier to just make two parts. The 27.9 degree angle feature is the main reason. If you're trying to clamp something having threads on both sides of the slit will mean nothing gets clamped. You'd want clearance on the top part.

I think it would be easier to just make two parts. The 27.9 degree angle feature is the main reason. If you're trying to clamp something having threads on both sides of the slit will mean nothing gets clamped. You'd want clearance on the top part.

I agree with the observation of the threads on both sides of the slit, but depending upon the fit of the threads I would bet it would still clamp. Not sure what 27.9 degree feature you are looking at though.

The 27.9° angle clearly visible in the top right hand (side view) drawing.

Would be easy enough to slitter saw the two in two, or make individually. I assume he would not be happy with a band saw cut. He probably ought let that be known though...

Do you guys actually expect to make a reasonable shop rate on work like this?
I'm not trying to be mean or anything,
but it seems that quoting,resolving questions about missing dimensions and billing and shipping will take longer than
making the part.

Back