What's new
What's new

Rfq

S101

Plastic
First time posting.
Actually have several items but since this is my first attempt.
IMG_0715.jpg
Can be made of a strong aluminum grade or mild steel and the bottom of unit will be threaded for bolt insert and two holes for spanner wrench.
Stem can be the current M6 x .50 or can be a 1.0 thread thread.
Thank you,
George

P.S. Learning FreeCad currently in attempt to become more efficient and hopefully accurate. Any advice welcome.

Some might like centers on such a part if diameters need be concentric or just to aid making..
"centers optional"l might be added to design..if OK to have centers.
Yes a cut off part so centers not that important.

dimensions, tolerances and quantities.

No i don't want the job.

Need dimensions and tolerances.

I will draw up dimensions tonight and post.
Need 50 units
It is rough because I am an amateur and it spun in lathe while turning the base of the stem to my spec.
Tolerances I am not sure of but if you can give me an indication of the norm I can measure and confirm what would work.
Thank you for your responses

If the projection has to enter something off the large thread , then you have to think how close do the diameters have to run together... and the size one or some diameters have to enter. the inside corners.
Perhaps tell a little of how it might be used.

QT: [will be threaded for bolt insert and two holes for spanner wrench
on the other end?

Even a rough sketch is better than a fuzzy picture sitting next to a metric ruler with verbal descriptions. Also are those diameters concentric to each other? It is hard to tell.

+/-.005" (plus or minus) or +/-.12mm for most dimensions would probably be considered "normal" on a part that size but is obviously dependent on the design requirements. Some designers might spec a +/-.002" or a +/-.010" general tolerance depending on what the part does.

Also remember that you can, for example, specify a one diameter at +/-.001, another diameter at +/-.010 and the length of a feature at +/-.030. Not everything needs to be governed by a general tolerance.

A good rule of thumb is if you add a zero to the front of the tolerance you add a zero to the end of price.

Shirley someone making 50 of these is going to barfeed with a CNC lathe, so it would be pretty challenging to have the diameters not be concentric.

Thread specs are important though. Everyone knows what M6 needs to be, but the big thread -- is that a standard thread I would find in Machinery's Handbook, or some special?

Regards.

Mike

Looks like you're still missing a couple diameters.

Honestly if you're an amateur at least go download a copy of Fusion 360 and learn how to make a fully defined drawing, there are surely some Youtube videos that will guide you on it. It'll be invaluable to you as a machinist or designer. It'll also significantly decrease the amount of time you waste looking for quotes.

If you have a 3D model of this part I suggest you go take a look at the online quoting companies (Xometry, Protolabs, etc.), it will at least allow you to put off learning how to make engineering drawings for the time being.

You are/seem to be way ahead of yourself..and so needing help that perhaps a book might help you greatly.
Here are a few such books..The local library will also have good book... such may also help avoid design errors.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=blueprin...006815&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_8p0b9i0ang_e

If this is a true part then you might tell what and where it may be used so the guy here might help avoid design errors.

I think a hand held book beats study on the inter-net because a writer will take step by step form a beginning...

This part goes on the bottom of a damping tube in a set of motorcycle forks. The stem holds a piston with shims clamped top and bottom to dampen the flow of the fork fluid.
Here is same concept different fork
IMG_0680.jpg
I will complete the measurements as I have time today.
I am not a machinist I tune suspension for off road motorcycle racers and that translates to the general public's motorcycles.
I will look into your suggestions as mentioned before I will need to know how to go forward with other items I am in need of.

Here is the other measurements I believe you were referring to and a correction on stem thread pitch.IMG_0723.jpg

I wouldn’t bid on this part unless I had the part to be reproduced in my hands to make my own drawing based on measurements I made.

QUOTE=michiganbuck;3342457]likely still short ..think the spanner circle dia is still missing but would have to see all dimensions to tell.
And perhaps +- limits if any sizes are critical to fit some place..agree a fit to just go into a spring would likely not be critical[/QUOTE]

Back