What's new
What's new

RFQ: 4140 drilled, light milling, 3" diameter

tangentdave

Plastic
I have another piece I'd like to contract out. This part is 4140 steel with 40 0.125"x.75" drill holes with some milling to remove half the holes and finish the protruding surface. The valleys of the drill holes are not finished (surface finish left by the drill bit is fine). Axial tolerance (part thickness) is 0.01", diametrical tolerances are 0.001" (except for center bore: 0.010"). I'm looking for a quantity of 100, the material I start with is 3.25"OD x 2.25"ID 4140 tube. Lead time is 2-4 weeks.

tangent3- torque ring imperial.jpgtangent3- torque ring metric.jpg

-dave

Hi Dave,

Would be interested to see how folks would attack this part. Drill, then mill? Mill the whole fluted shape for nicer transitions? Seems like you'd need a ~1/8" EM to roll all the way through the arcs connecting the 1/8" "holes".

Regards.

Mike

I make this part now by drilling the holes then milling half the holes away with a big EM, then use 1/4" EM to profile the inside, leaving 0.004" and finish with a 1/8" EM and two spring passes. The valleys left by the drill bit aren't touched by the EM and I callout a rough surface finish (drill finish). There is a tiny discontinuity at the junction between the milled outer surface and the drilled inner surface.

Sent you a PM with my contact info. We have a quotation we can send you for this. Thank you.

Back