RFQ - 6061 Aluminum Rocker Arm Spacers - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    67
    Likes (Received)
    9

    Default

    If you're in the Philly area shoot me a PM, we can probably work something out.

    Just an FYI to folks still using Mcmaster or Onlinemetals for 6061, Xometry has it for like half the price, and if the order is over $50 it ships free.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    7,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    738
    Likes (Received)
    3612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar36 View Post

    Just an FYI to folks still using Mcmaster or Onlinemetals for 6061,
    I really enjoy trying to guess who is the least expensive of those two for what I need. Online most always has the lower list price, but the added cut charges and ridiculous shipping charges usually make the end total way more expensive for what I buy. Online also often waits a day or two to ship, a McMaster order shows up the next day for the price of ground shipping. I only use those two for the small diameter rounds. Anything less than 1/2" usually shows up twisted like a pretzel from my local vendor who delivers, that doesn't work running full bars in a bar feeder.

  3. Likes ranchak, pianoman8t8 liked this post
  4. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    801
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    129
    Likes (Received)
    438

    Default

    I've also been ordering aluminum from Xometry. They are within 10% of the best prices in town and that is saw cut and delivered. Hard to beat!

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    7,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    738
    Likes (Received)
    3612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    I've also been ordering aluminum from Xometry. They are within 10% of the best prices in town and that is saw cut and delivered. Hard to beat!
    What are the delivery charges and time? The same amount from McMaster that gets here next day for $20 freight will be a $45 freight bill from Online and get here in 4 days after ordering.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    7,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    738
    Likes (Received)
    3612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AD Design View Post
    -You're correct, I had to zoom in to 200% to see it. After all those years of working with an OptiVISOR on tiny shyte I now need that OptiVISOR just to read the information on a can of soup. Getting old sux big time.
    I always thought those things looked ridiculous, I could not bring myself to use one. Good lighting and a 5x eye loupe for me. I probably have a half dozen of those things scattered about.

  7. Likes DanASM liked this post
  8. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    2,877
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I probably have a half dozen of those things scattered about.
    Send me one, if you don't mind. I can use it when I go out to eat

    (j/k, although MAYBE it would get someone's attention in the restaurant. But probably not.)

  9. Likes AD Design liked this post
  10. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tennessee USA
    Posts
    750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    402
    Likes (Received)
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I always thought those things looked ridiculous, I could not bring myself to use one. Good lighting and a 5x eye loupe for me. I probably have a half dozen of those things scattered about.
    -Yeah they do look a bit ridiculous but it allows for using two hands when stoning/polishing or other tiny detail work. I've got a few eye loupes as well, some with graduated/interchangeable lenses if the task allows. But using a loupe when I need two hands means holding the loupe with just facial muscles. That makes me feel like a pirate with an eye patch and that's even more ridiculous.

  11. Likes Ox, Totallyrc liked this post
  12. #28
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    554
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    141
    Likes (Received)
    214

    Default

    You guys need to beat up your suppliers. Anything over $2 a pound even in small quantities for 6061 is robbery. I have a couple suppliers and am sure to let them know about each other. Hell I've even called one while being at the other cause I didn't like the price. I work hard for my money and expect those I'm giving it to to do the same.

    I agree with Dualkit that material like this should be laying around. I don't even hardly work with aluminum and could make hundreds of these parts.

    Would I make these for $200? Maybe if I had something else running with at least a 30 min cycle time or you were an established customer. If you asked me if I could do better I would politely send you to a competitor.

  13. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    7,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    738
    Likes (Received)
    3612

    Default

    I have a scrap bucket of aluminum marked drops for stuff that could be reusable. I started picking through there today as I probably need just 5 pieces 1-3/8+" diameter 1.5" + long to have enough stock for a 300 piece run job I just got as 3 full bars I already had would be just a tad short. Lo and behold there were three 6" long 1.250 diameter slugs that already had a .750 hole in them. If I wanted I could have done this job start to finish in an hour easy.

  14. Likes Hardplates liked this post
  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    801
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    129
    Likes (Received)
    438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    What are the delivery charges and time? The same amount from McMaster that gets here next day for $20 freight will be a $45 freight bill from Online and get here in 4 days after ordering.
    Free shipping over $50 I think (I've never paid for it, always comes FedEx and well packaged). Usually three days from order to my doorstep.

    Beats the hell out of unloading 12' sticks of 8"x2" extrusion in the snow LOL.

  16. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    7,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    738
    Likes (Received)
    3612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    Free shipping over $50 I think (I've never paid for it, always comes FedEx and well packaged). Usually three days from order to my doorstep.

    Beats the hell out of unloading 12' sticks of 8"x2" extrusion in the snow LOL.
    Sounds good, I will give it a try. Fedex is also a selling point for me. UPS won't deliver in inclement weather here, they just drop it at USPS and they complete delivery, sometimes adding an extra week. Online and McMaster both use UPS.By inclement weather we are talking a few flooded creeks or a couple inches snow. On the flip side you see the Fedex trucks out and about when the weather causes most people to stay off the roads. As for snow, so far it has missed us this winter, a couple non sticking flurries has been it so far.

  17. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1795
    Likes (Received)
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    UPS won't deliver in inclement weather here, they just drop it at USPS and they complete delivery, sometimes adding an extra week. Online and McMaster both use UPS.By inclement weather we are talking a few flooded creeks or a couple inches snow.
    That's silly. No problems with that up here, only a couple times that happened last yr, and they were warranted. Sometimes they'll call me if they can't make it up our hill, i have them leave packages in the snowbank.

  18. Likes Ox liked this post
  19. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,236
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2359
    Likes (Received)
    2411

    Default

    If you're really good at something, never do it for free..........and that includes giving away material.............


    Just my 2 cents worth...........

  20. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    7,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    738
    Likes (Received)
    3612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wrustle View Post
    If you're really good at something, never do it for free..........and that includes giving away material.............


    Just my 2 cents worth...........
    If that was directed at me, when I said "It must be found in the scrap bucket", that doesn't mean it gets given away or charged out at scrap price. It means I don't have to take the time to order a small piece online and pay $25 to have it shipped to me.

  21. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,236
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2359
    Likes (Received)
    2411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    If that was directed at me, when I said "It must be found in the scrap bucket", that doesn't mean it gets given away or charged out at scrap price. It means I don't have to take the time to order a small piece online and pay $25 to have it shipped to me.
    It wasn't singling out anyone. I've just seen it too many times not only in here, but also in my own business.

    Customer asks, "Don't you have some material laying around you can use?" (insinuating giving it to them to get the job done cheaper).

    I tell them, "Yes, and it is NOT free.".

    If I have to start looking around to give away material just to make a few bucks on a job......I should not be doing "THAT" job.

    Later,
    Russ

  22. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    7,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    738
    Likes (Received)
    3612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wrustle View Post
    It wasn't singling out anyone. I've just seen it too many times not only in here, but also in my own business.

    Customer asks, "Don't you have some material laying around you can use?" (insinuating giving it to them to get the job done cheaper).

    I tell them, "Yes, and it is NOT free.".

    If I have to start looking around to give away material just to make a few bucks on a job......I should not be doing "THAT" job.

    Later,
    Russ
    I haven't seen it here, but over at the Zone I have seen small one off jobs go for the price of material when the cost of material is high compared to the amount of labor needed. It wasn't going to a Chinese shop either. I just figure that the 30# chunk of aluminum needed to make a large spacer walked off someone's day job. When I fish a piece out of the crap bucket I charge it out at minimum quantity per pound price, plus rounded to the next $5 increment. So on this job if I bid and I did not I would have charged out $10 for material. That still is way less than someone would have to pay if they didn't have a foot of 1-1/4" 6061 laying around and had to order it from an internet store.

  23. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    3,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    296
    Likes (Received)
    2240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I haven't seen it here, but over at the Zone I have seen small one off jobs go for the price of material when the cost of material is high compared to the amount of labor needed. It wasn't going to a Chinese shop either. I just figure that the 30# chunk of aluminum needed to make a large spacer walked off someone's day job. When I fish a piece out of the crap bucket I charge it out at minimum quantity per pound price, plus rounded to the next $5 increment. So on this job if I bid and I did not I would have charged out $10 for material. That still is way less than someone would have to pay if they didn't have a foot of 1-1/4" 6061 laying around and had to order it from an internet store.
    I think the point here is that you are competing against yourself. If the potential customer cannot buy the stock for what you are charging, you are not charging enough, you do not owe them anything That stock in your scrap bucket did indeed cost something.

    Any of my friends needs a chunk of stock for something useful, it is free. Customers are not my friends. Ok I have let customers pick through my pile of stuff and take what they want, but, hell, they already paid for it.

    Some dude on the internet gets charged mcmaster price for the stock, because they cannot buy it cheaper, why should I be cheaper than mcmaster?

    Not trying to put too fine a point on it, you do what you choose, but that 25 or 30 bucks for stock belongs in your pocket, not some random on the internet.

  24. Likes Garwood liked this post
  25. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    2,877
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    Not trying to put too fine a point on it, you do what you choose, but that 25 or 30 bucks for stock belongs in your pocket, not some random on the internet.
    Amazing what do-gooders really think of their fellow man

    Your fox tail is showing.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •