What's new
What's new

RFQ - 6061 Aluminum Rocker Arm Spacers

PetroleumJunkie

Plastic
First post, so please forgive me if I mess up needed information, etc.

Looking to have a set of aluminum Rocker Arm Spacers made for a Ford Cologne. eMachineShop quoted me a price of ~$200 to have them made; saw a few posts on Practical Machinist that encouraged others to seek someone on the forum to have parts made, so I am posting here before I buy a lathe to do it myself.

Screenshot attached of eMachineShop software (can post .ems file as well).

I think all needed information is covered on the screenshot. For simplicity's sake, these are the specs of what I would like to have made:

8 pcs. total, ALL same OD (1.25") and ID (0.883" - 0.885"), but multiple lengths (Z):
(1x) 2.011" long,
(1x) 2.015" long,
(1x) 2.125" long,
(1x) 2.158" long,
(4x) 0.100" long.

Attachments

• 2.9 Rocker Spacers.jpg
    2.9 Rocker Spacers.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 296
How are you going to buy material, a lathe and tooling for less than $200?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm well aware of the cost of a lathe, haha.

I know that I'll need a lathe eventually, so if I can't find someone to make these for a reasonable price, I'll just expedite the process and find a used one.

You have a tolerance on the ID. The length(s) should have a tolerance too. Does the ID need to concentric with the OD? Material should be specified, there are lots of flavors of aluminum. Sharp corners, radii, or chamfer on the OD/ID? Nothing wrong with a hand sketch but all dimensions/specifications/tolerances should be included on any drawing so you get exactly what you want and a level of precision you're willing to pay for.

You have no tolerance on length, or finish, or edge finish, or......as mentioned above. I imagine the finish and squareness of the ends might be important

No one here knows you, so it is a gamble that you will pay for an underspeced part that may be useful or not.

2 thou total range on a 2 inch deep hole means it is something one must actually pay attention to

If you wandered in my shop with cash and I was bored, that might be all that the parts would run you.

Maybe

But I'm not bored and you are not local

8 parts total. Material, overhead, invoice time, packing for shipping, and 200.00 is too much? Yep let's race to the bottom.

I see 90 minutes for all of that moving like a snail. That is like $5 of material, that is a bar end out of the scrap barrel. Anyone with a $500 beater lathe can make this part, if some guy starting out doing side jobs in his garage wants to do this job for $75, why should you care? A person with a lot of money in equipment and overhead should not be fishing in this pond, nor complaining about those that do.

Easy side work on a manual while the CNC is running (or someone starting out who doesn't have a CNC), out of some extra material from some other previous job. This will be somebody's gravy. By the looks of it, certainly not for most of the responders here. And that's fine. Why not let it be and move on if you have nothing constructive to contribute?

I would say when I was starting out I would have happily done this job for $75. Since that was 25 years ago that would be $125 in today's dollars. Using a Hardinge HC that I still have, that would now qualify as a $500 beater lathe. Since we all know machinist's wages have stagnated, pretty sure some one will take it for $75 today. In fact I think it would be interesting if the OP listed the price it went for without naming names.

A person that can't whip these out quickly is wasting their time bidding. If you have to go price a foot of stock and shipping costs from Online Metals, you should not bid, that 1.25" 6061 needs to get fished out of the scrap bucket. I bet I could dig out some pieces close to these in length out of the my scrap buckets. For the record I am not bidding.

I see 90 minutes for all of that moving like a snail. That is like $5 of material, that is a bar end out of the scrap barrel. Anyone with a $500 beater lathe can make this part, if some guy starting out doing side jobs in his garage wants to do this job for $75, why should you care? A person with a lot of money in equipment and overhead should not be fishing in this pond, nor complaining about those that do.

Baloney

First, unless you own the stock, you can just squeeze it out of a foot, meaning you better buy 2 feet, from mcmaster, 25 bucks

you are going to hold .002 on a feature it is impractical to measure in the machine on a beater lathe? Better you than me, I think that is a dumb decision

No one here cares, they are giving advise, both to the OP and to anyone who takes this job, spends 4 hours dicking with it, doesn't get paid, cause they aren't 'right' and feels the fool afterward.

And it is still underdefined

Hell if I had an .883 reamer I'd do em fer nuthin...........

-You're correct, I had to zoom in to 200% to see it. After all those years of working with an OptiVISOR on tiny shyte I now need that OptiVISOR just to read the information on a can of soup.
The one that gets me is all the restaurants getting groovy about their menus. And the buses in Hong Kong, too ! Huge colorful advertisements with big-blocky letters on high-contrast background. Can read easily from twenty feet away. But the food ? tiny tiny light grey letters on a beige background. In cursive.

People must think I can't read anymore because I just point to the pictures, can't even read the name half the time. All this with seductive relaxing lighting .... aka a twenty watt bulb in the lobby out front.

New challenges for old people :)

I don't care.

Back