What's new
What's new

RFQ Attn Metalurgist Identify this steel

rmcphearson

Hot Rolled
I would like to know what material these (the collets) are made of. It's the second item from the left on top row. "Expanding Collar Internal Grip Puller"
McMaster-Carr
It's a common blind hole bearing puller collet.

I will send you one if you can positively identify it. Let me know what you will charge me for your service. Please PM me.

Thanks,
Roland McPhearson
Rochester, NY

Why don't you just ask McMaster? Tell them you want use them on an assembly and they need to spec out to blah,blah,blah. If your inquiry sounds legit and they don't think you will try to sell knock offs they may give you an answer.

Why don't you just ask McMaster? Tell them you want use them on an assembly and they need to spec out to blah,blah,blah. If your inquiry sounds legit and they don't think you will try to sell knock offs they may give you an answer.

Hmmm. OTC/SPX makes them. I don't know how I'd go about doing that. I'm guessing they are a cheap mild steel and not heat treated or "processed". I'd just like to be sure before I make hundreds of them. I'm having a hard time sourcing them when I need them.

Hmmm. OTC/SPX makes them. I don't know how I'd go about doing that. I'm guessing they are a cheap mild steel and not heat treated or "processed". I'd just like to be sure before I make hundreds of them. I'm having a hard time sourcing them when I need them.

I have actually gotten what one would consider proprietary information out of them. It all depends on how you ask, of course I wasn't up to no good, maybe they sensed that, ha,ha. Sometimes you might have to wait a day or two for a response. Their customer service is pretty darn good.

I'm not a metallurgist nor do I have specific knowledge about the manufacture of the pullers you linked to, however . . .

If I wanted to make something similar, and I wanted them to be VERY robust, I would select a maraging steel. One of the 18% Ni grades.
I can't be more specific because I no longer have access to the company proprietary material specifications used. Nor can I remember the heat treat except to describe it as simple. Maraging steel will have both ultimate and tensile well over 200K PSI and still have enough flex for your application.

Here's a Wiki blurb on maraging steel: Maraging steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not suggesting that using maraging steel is the low cost option. A lot depends on your specific application and service life vs cost tradeoffs.

Thanks for the info gents. I guess my first move is to have someone make me on from an affordable material X and I can test it for a while to see how it holds up. If anyone is interested in making me one PM me and I'll send you an original and you can give me an quote to make a copy.

Thanks,
Roland

I will suggest 4140-ht if it involves the slide hammer (linky wasn't very specific).

Puller screw or hydraulic cylinder ? Take the heat treatment up to higher Rockwell numbers.

Moving up (if 4140-ht fails) try s-7.

I actually went down this road a few years back, but damned if I can remember the specifics. For some reason I keep thinking I found out they were made of 8620 and 1144, depending on vendor. I cannot swear to that, though. Just sticks in my head about it. I did end up making around 20 or 25 right after and simply made them from drops of Scrapbinium that I knew was 4140-HT. ( prior job ) They worked just fine and are still in service today. Good luck.

Straight forward project for a metallurgical lab. They'll find chemistry and then match it to a commercial spec. They can also tell you hardness.

Back