What's new
What's new

RFQ battery contact Copper 360 alloy

gschaal

Plastic
I would like to submit an RFQ for small copper battery contacts, with a #2-56 threaded hole.

The corner and top radii are not critical, they just need to be rounded as they will interface with a removable battery pack and need not get caught on the edges.

The part dimensions are 14.9mm x 8mm x 2mm.

Initial quantities required are 1000 pieces, with an expected yearly amount of 20,000.
Tolerances are +/-.1mm

Please take a look at the attached drawing and pm me with any quotes or questions.

Battery_Contact.jpg

thanks,
Greg

I would like to submit an RFQ for small copper battery contacts, with #2-58 threaded holes.

The corner and top radii are not critical, they just need to be rounded as they will interface with a removable battery pack and need not get caught on the edges.

The part dimensions are 14.9mm x 8mm x 2mm.

Initial quantities required are 1000 pieces, with an expected yearly amount of 20,000.
Tolerances are +/-.1mm

Please take a look at the attached drawing and pm me with any quotes or questions.

View attachment 55141

thanks,
Greg

Did you mean 2-56 thread?

if you did not get a good quote yet, please let me know. i am interested in the part. i am at partmaker school now so i am out of the office until friday but i may be able to get you a solid quote before then if youre interested, you can email me at [email protected]. please let me know either way. thank you

Greg,

If you haven't chosen a vendor yet, you may want to consider "The Electrical Materials Company" Electric Materials They've been around for a very long time, and have a lot of expertise in electrical copper work.

You can't put a design on a PM forum without having at least one self-declared expert give it a critique! :-) Here goes:

Copper is crazy expensive, over the last 5 years or so it has gotten insane. Being frugal with copper in your design has become pretty worthwhile financially. The long-axis cross section of the design is 8mm x 2mm = 16mm^2, which is slightly less than 5 AWG wire. When used in *chassis* wiring, 5 AWG is good for a little less than 120 amps. I don't know how big a battery you're connecting to, but I noticed that your terminal screw was 2-56, so I was guessing that the battery is pretty small. Having made a couple groundless assumptions already, I pressed on and thought that maybe the 8mm dimension was to contact the full width of the battery's wiper-style contact, and so you didn't really have much control over that, but the 2mm dimension might be driven by simply having a deep enough hole for the 2-56 thread to engage 4 or so threads in. If that's the case, then I'd like to suggest that you consider reducing the thickness from 2mm down to something smaller, everywhere except for an area around the hole - this could be kept at 2mm.

Let's say you left half the contact at 2mm thick, and reduced the other half to 1mm thick. You'll have saved 25% of the copper from your original design. To find out how much that is, and the cost savings, here's a rough calculation (the factor 0.00001975 lb/mm^3 is just the density of copper)

14.9mm x 8mm x 2mm x 20,000/year x 0.00001975 lb/mm^3 = 94.2 lb

So, 25% of that yearly total is about 23 pounds every year. I don't know prices on 360 copper, but 110 copper in this sort of quantity will set you back about $12/lb. That's a total savings of $276/year, or easily beer money for a couple months.

That's more than enough whining from me! Good luck with your product!
Dave

So, 25% of that yearly total is about 23 pounds every year. I don't know prices on 360 copper, but 110 copper in this sort of quantity will set you back about $12/lb. That's a total savings of $276/year, or easily beer money for a couple months.

Savings of 1.5 cents per part but possibly adding cost to manufacture.

Robert123,

You are correct; mea culpa. I was thinking of wrought C300, another electrical copper. C360 is free machining brass, and useless for any sort of electrical work.

Thanks,
Dave

I wouldn't say c360 is useless for electrical work. I see it used quite often for machined terminals, contact pins,...

Back