What's new
What's new

RFQ boring/reaming hex nuts

woodguy2

Plastic
I'm looking for quote for 100 units (1000 nuts)of the following: each hex nut to be bored and reamed to .5" ID. tolerance: +.0005" on dimension, and .005" concentricity. Raw material cost per unit is about $1.50.

McMaster-Carr thin( jam) nuts $7.42 per pack of 100, 3 per unit
McMaster-Carr extra wide hex nuts $10.12 per pack of 50, 3 per unit
McMaster-Carr extra-wide thin hex nut $9.00 per pack of 50 , 3 per unit
McMaster-Carr hex nuts $10.69 per pack of 100, 1 per unit

If that's more economical, then that will work. I thought it would be cheaper to start with mass produced item that's correct OD, length and already bored. I'm not a machinist so I might be wrong about that.

Yeah .. I'm not following what you are asking for either....

If you want a hex with a hole in it - why start with a nut and hafta chuck them all - and have the thread try to pull the tool around?
Also note that a 1/2" thread will NOT clean up with a .500 hole.

It sounds like 1215 or 1018 would suffice if you are spec'ing "Grade 2" nuts.
Are you welding?

edit:

You snuck in ahead of me.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

These will serve as hubs for plywood gears press fit onto them. Nuts will be either pinned with roll pins or locktite glued to 1045 TGP shaft.
I'm not a machinist, so techniques may be available to use hex stock that will produce results more economically than my suggestion. Experiments with my consumer grade drill press and drill press vice yielded results nearly good enough (but not quite) for my purposes. So if starting with hex stock is the cheapest or only way to do this, I need:

100 units, (1000 total) hexagonal pieces, all bored to .5" ID:

.75 height x .315 long, 3 per unit
.875 height x .472 long , 3 per unit
.875 height x .296 long , 3 per unit
.75 height x .472 long, 1 per unit

length tolerance: -.01, +.01

Why not just make from 4140-ht hex stock ?

I have a couple of 4140 hex parts I have made for a customer 2-4 times a year for a period of 10 years. The price and availability of 4140 hex has drifted quite far away from 4140 round for some reason. When I started making the parts price per pound between hex and round were pretty close along with availability. The locals don't even stock 4140 hex anymore, when they stopped stocking it a couple years ago the price was 4 times the cost of round. In fact I need to get off my butt and put some 1 1/8 hex heads on a couple hundred custom bolts as we speak. Material cost out of round 4140 is a $1 and that is with free delivery from a local supplier. Out of hex material is shipped out of state at a current total of $5.50 each. Big difference on a part with a 6 minute total cycle time and that includes 2nd oping the hex on a manual mill. The extra $4.50 isn't worth saving an operation I can do in 70 seconds each while the first operation is running. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

12L14 hex is a different story, locally available in all sizes and the price for hex is about the same as round.

I have a couple of 4140 hex parts I have made for a customer 2-4 times a year for a period of 10 years. The price and availability of 4140 hex has drifted quite far away from 4140 round for some reason. When I started making the parts price per pound between hex and round were pretty close along with availability. The locals don't even stock 4140 hex anymore, when they stopped stocking it a couple years ago the price was 4 times the cost of round. In fact I need to get off my butt and put some 1 1/8 hex heads on a couple hundred custom bolts as we speak. Material cost out of round 4140 is a $1 and that is with free delivery from a local supplier. Out of hex material is shipped out of state at a current total of $5.50 each. Big difference on a part with a 6 minute total cycle time and that includes 2nd oping the hex on a manual mill. The extra $4.50 isn't worth saving an operation I can do in 70 seconds each while the first operation is running. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

12L14 hex is a different story, locally available in all sizes and the price for hex is about the same as round.

Yabutt !

What's your cost buying nuts from McMaster, boring them, and holding concentricity, "and .005" concentricity" (to what feature the OP didn't state..:nutter:) ?

But the feedback on hex material cost/avail is a good thing, thank you for that.

Yabutt !

What's your cost buying nuts from McMaster, boring them, and holding concentricity, "and .005" concentricity" (to what feature the OP didn't state..:nutter:) ?

But the feedback on hex material cost/avail is a good thing, thank you for that.

The point is moot. I am not going to bid. I am pretty sure many will ignore the tolerances and bid accordingly. I would not. The +.0005 hole will probably be more of an issue than that .005 T.I.R. Why is the hole diameter tolerance + .0005 when it is glued or pinned and it can be .0025 off center to the flats?

For the record tight tolerances will cost you more money from those of us who make parts 100% to print, 100% of the time. Like I alluded to many will figure the tight tolerance is unnecessary and ignore it & price accordingly.

Well the forum is 'free'... and you are open to make a suggestion for his product (in my eyes, reading his other post on what it is used for)... say +/-.0005" using a reamer or what have you. I doubt he (op) could check .0005" anyways, so I think he is thinking/guessing 1/2" slip fit on whatever he used previously.

As Ox pointed out, it will not clean up to his tolerance on a 1/2-13 nut anyways... (probably wildly speculating here :D) the 'grooves' leftover from drilling/boring/reaming a 1/2-13 nut out to .5" could help with the gluing process...?

Anyways, in essence you are probably right, he ain't going to like the price. :toetap:

I really don't understand y'alls concern here?

The guy wants a reamed 1/2" hole in a pc of hex stock so that he can Loctite it to a dowel pin or whatnot.
Somehow this is hard to understand ?
Hard to produce?

You guys regularly Loctite fits @ +/- .005 or what?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I really don't understand y'alls concern here?

The guy wants a reamed 1/2" hole in a pc of hex stock so that he can Loctite it to a dowel pin or whatnot.
Somehow this is hard to understand ?
Hard to produce?

You guys regularly Loctite fits @ +/- .005 or what?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Did you miss the +.0005 tolerance he called out on the .500 diameter bore?

OK, what tol would you be OK with on a "reamed" hole?
+.001/-0 ?
If he said that - would you be less hostile?

He said that he's not a machinist and that he wants to glue it to TG&P.
This isn't rocket science, nor difficult.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If I understand correctly, the OP wants to use the nuts to fixate (by press fit) a plywood gear to steel shafts, and in that case trying to maintain a good TIR to the external hex makes sense, as does the tight control on diameter (sense as in even with wood gears, minimizing runout is good).

Starting with low cost nuts seems reasonable to me, and the worry about a remnant thread is NBD. It just means it'll be a manual job, rather than a screw machine op, fine for a garage shop or equivalent. But if there's no need for the fully "softened" edges of a nut then a run of hex stock should be cheaper.

Thanks for all this feedback. This is all a new venture for me so sorry if my RFQ was a little strange.

Hearing that this won't be as simple or cheap as I hoped, I revise my need to:

3 pieces per unit, 2 at .875 height x .472" (12mm) length, and 1 at .75 height X .472 length,-- 100 units, 300 pieces. Unless someone feels they can deal with starting with hex nuts, and then it's 2 of these: McMaster-Carr,
and 1 of these:
McMaster-Carr per unit.

Looking for a slip fit on .5 TGP 1045 shaft. I guess I asked for too tight a tolerance in describing that as .0005.

How about leaving at at tolerances to be determined? What's appropriate to ask for for the intended purpose of hub for wooden spur gears?

Thanks!

Thanks all for the feedback, education and quotes. I've received an acceptable quote on this.

Back