What's new
What's new

RFQ: Custom 316ss coupling nuts and dome headed spacers

isvrcek

Aluminum
I have two parts I need made which are not a good match for the machine shop I work with usually. One is a 316L stainless coupling nut with a non-standard hex size, the other is a custom 316L stainless spacing sleeve with a domed head. I am looking for 70±5pcs of each part with delivery to a commercial address in College Station, Texas by August 1st.

Here are picture of the parts, I am sure not really readable so please contact me for a PDF if interested in quoting.
12765.jpg
12766.jpg

For reference since the drawing probably won't be legible the hex coupling nut is 1" across the flats and 1.5" long. The retaining sleeve is 1.25" dia at the largest and 1.16" long.

Thanks,
Ivan

Thank you to everyone who has contacted me, I do not need anymore working on quotes. I will wait for quotes from those who are bidding until Friday afternoon and decide that evening or Monday morning.

Ivan

I did not mention in the original post but I am only considering shops located within the USA for these parts.

Ivan

It will be highly appreciated if you could share your thoughts about only accept the shop in within the US? It really stranger.

It will be highly appreciated if you could share your thoughts about only accept the shop in within the US? It really stranger.

One of the reasons is POOR COMMUNICATION. If you want to do business with the USA hire someone who speaks and writes ENGLISH. Now go away!

One of the reasons is POOR COMMUNICATION. If you want to do business with the USA hire someone who speaks and writes ENGLISH. Now go away!

Or some goobermint regulations....ITAR etc.

Or the customers, or pride.

I am the Moderator on this board, and it is my job to vette the personnel that use this board.
It is my job quite literally because I was the one that bitched about overseas people trying to fetch our work here.
If you read the guidelines in the sticky thread at the top of this board, you will see that I have it noted that someone in some other hemisphere is NOT to be engaged in quoting another hemisphere's jobs. [essentially]

Meaning that I am not against you soliciting work from someone posting an RFQ from Hong Kong. But I doo have issues with you trolling around on our jobs.

I see that you have already made some posts that are not simply RFQ based, so I am not going to ban you at this point. If I don't see you on this board trolling for our work, but see you involved in threads elsewhere on the forums, that will be just fine.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You look like someone who just joined and is using the forum only to get work but I'll share my thoughts and reasons anyway. After all, I rarely have anything to contribute myself since I only play machinist when I'm working on a prototype.

I work in the marine, oil and gas sector so travel, equipment, other engineers, fabricators and machine shops all over the world is just part of the daily job. I don't blindly proclaim USA only as that would be absurd. I source work and equipment from all over as needed depending on who makes the best product or is in a location that makes sense for my current job. This isn't consumer goods for people who only consider price, this is subsea systems and specialized equipment that needs to work in a rough environment.

As a result my considerations are roughly in this order:
1-Physically possible: If I can't get it made or where it needs to go in time then I can't consider it.
2-Quality: If a cruise in a logistically remote part of the world depends on a piece of equipment it better work. If it is something that will hurt someone it better not fail no matter where it is on the globe.
3-Ease of transaction: My project backlog stretches years past my eventual death and if you can help me move through it quicker you are valuable, if you are difficult or a hassle for any reason then you better be my only option because I am going to find someone else if I can.
4-Price: In the end cost drives everything but for small volume systems that will be owned and operated by my company chasing that around at the production level doesn't make sense. Total life cycle cost is what matters and as the engineer my greatest control over that is the design choices I make. Risking my system to save a few pennies on the backside just isn't worth it.
5-All else being close enough I desire to foster manufacturing locally if for no other reason than the selfish one of having that capacity available to call on easily when I need it.

These particular parts are a natural fit for only considering the USA. Some reasons:
Location: I'm in the US and the vessel these parts are going onto is in the US
Quality: I've encountered bad shops in the US and elsewhere but my experience has been that the US is one of the countries that I have better odds in.
Ease of transaction: This is such a small order that the hassle of importation/shipping/communication barriers from another country makes it not even worth considering, my time cost outweighs whatever can be saved even if I am confident in quality.
Risk: These parts are a small order and have a realistic lead time but unnecessarily manufacturing in another country increases the odds that I end up in the spotlight scrambling to get a contingency solution out while a $ vessel $ sits $ in $ drydock $ waiting $ on $ me $$$$. Not worth it, I spend enough time there because of other peoples unrealistic schedules, I don't need to volunteer!

So, I am interested if you have or do something better than everyone else or if you offer quality and convenience when I am in your region. Otherwise it isn't worth the bother of a quote for you or me.

Ivan

I am the Moderator on this board, and it is my job to vette the personnel that use this board.
It is my job quite literally because I was the one that bitched about overseas people trying to fetch our work here.
If you read the guidelines in the sticky thread at the top of this board, you will see that I have it noted that someone in some other hemisphere is NOT to be engaged in quoting another hemisphere's jobs. [essentially]

Meaning that I am not against you soliciting work from someone posting an RFQ from Hong Kong. But I doo have issues with you trolling around on our jobs.

I see that you have already made some posts that are not simply RFQ based, so I am not going to ban you at this point. If I don't see you on this board trolling for our work, but see you involved in threads elsewhere on the forums, that will be just fine.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Join the forum just because lots of machinests here, even there are some RFQS, I think all the poster have their own requirements, I don't want to rush in. But communicate with these ones who have proessional knowledge will be a pleasant. And also do not want to against your rules in the guidelines. And also read before post messages.

You look like someone who just joined and is using the forum only to get work but I'll share my thoughts and reasons anyway. After all, I rarely have anything to contribute myself since I only play machinist when I'm working on a prototype.

I work in the marine, oil and gas sector so travel, equipment, other engineers, fabricators and machine shops all over the world is just part of the daily job. I don't blindly proclaim USA only as that would be absurd. I source work and equipment from all over as needed depending on who makes the best product or is in a location that makes sense for my current job. This isn't consumer goods for people who only consider price, this is subsea systems and specialized equipment that needs to work in a rough environment.

1-Physically possible: If I can't get it made or where it needs to go in time then I can't consider it.
2-Quality: If a cruise in a logistically remote part of the world depends on a piece of equipment it better work. If it is something that will hurt someone it better not fail no matter where it is on the globe.
3-Ease of transaction: My project backlog stretches years past my eventual death and if you can help me move through it quicker you are valuable, if you are difficult or a hassle for any reason then you better be my only option because I am going to find someone else if I can.
4-Price: In the end cost drives everything but for small volume systems that will be owned and operated by my company chasing that around at the production level doesn't make sense. Total life cycle cost is what matters and as the engineer my greatest control over that is the design choices I make. Risking my system to save a few pennies on the backside just isn't worth it.
5-All else being close enough I desire to foster manufacturing locally if for no other reason than the selfish one of having that capacity available to call on easily when I need it.

These particular parts are a natural fit for only considering the USA. Some reasons:
Quality: I've encountered bad shops in the US and elsewhere but my experience has been that the US is one of the countries that I have better odds in.
Ease of transaction: This is such a small order that the hassle of importation/shipping/communication barriers from another country makes it not even worth considering, my time cost outweighs whatever can be saved even if I am confident in quality.
Risk: These parts are a small order and have a realistic lead time but unnecessarily manufacturing in another country increases the odds that I end up in the spotlight scrambling to get a contingency solution out while a $ vessel $ sits $ in $ drydock $ waiting $ on $ me $$$$. Not worth it, I spend enough time there because of other peoples unrealistic schedules, I don't need to volunteer!

So, I am interested if you have or do something better than everyone else or if you offer quality and convenience when I am in your region. Otherwise it isn't worth the bother of a quote for you or me.

Ivan

Thanks for the detail explaination. I think all of them are really valuable and considerable. First, i am a new member of this forum, maybe some day will be banned from here @Ox, This is just a communication with you. Even with some commercial purpose. But I think I am the one who obay the rules. It is also strainge that when I see the post about only choosing the shops in US. HAHa, I get it from your answer.

Any way, I really engaged in this field, but not want to make a ad here. Of course if you have jobs to discuss or consider some shops oversea. You can consider me.:)

Get it. It seems some of you have suffered bad communication with Chinese supplier. Bad luck.

Then:

Join the forum just because lots of machinests here, even there are some RFQS, I think all the poster have their own requirements, I don't want to rush in. But communicate with these ones who have proessional knowledge will be a pleasant. And also do not want to against your rules in the guidelines. And also read before post messages.

Yep, I think you are correct..................

Ivan

Really give me a detail explaination. And also replied this morning, but not shown in the post, not sure what happend. Thanks for leting me know your consideration.

Back