What's new
What's new

RFQ: Custom Capto C4 Tools - 5 Axis

J Gilles

Cast Iron
Looking for quotes on some custom coolant manifolds made from Capto C4 blanks. Blanks are made from 25 CR Mo4 low alloy steel and the blank portion is 28-34 Rc.

Total quantity will be 15 of each part, with 1 of each being made first so we can test them before the whole lot is made.

Parts require a coolant hole drilled from the Capto interface side, plus some material removal on the blank side in addition to some small holes drilled at a variety of angles. These tools will be used to blow chips out of grooves in a high volume automotive part. The local shops we usually use for our tool work don't have 5 axis mills, so I am looking for other options.

Capto Manifold.jpg

We can supply either a radial or axial tool block to hold the C4 blanks to help with fixturing.
Axial: C4-TRI-MS40A
Radial: C4-TRE-MS40A

Please PM me for STP files and PDFs of the drawings. Changes can be made to the parts to help with manufacturing. US shops only and preference will be given to contributing PM members.

Just an idea, could they be done with some fixturing, maybe a few different ones to match the angles? Doesn't look like it needs 5 axis, but that is just what I can see from the pic. Sure multi fixturing and setups is more time consuming, but may end up about being equal in price vs 5 axis hourly rate...

It's definitely possible without a 5 axis mill. I'm just leading with that since all of my usual shops don't want to quote them with their 3 and 4 axis machines.

Haven't purchased Capto in a while, so just a thought. Would it not be less expensive to have a cylindrical manifold made that you can put in a Capto Weldon holder? Make it out of Aluminum and anybody with a mill/turn and angle head can knock them out for you in qty without worrying about capto workholding.

Back