What's new
What's new

RFQ: engraving size on motorcycle valve shims

Joe Miranda

Titanium
I am making "in between" sizes of motorcycle valve shims and need to permanently engrave the size on the valve shim. It would be best to put the size on the "edge" of the valve shim but if it can be engraved so as not to change the size or surface finish of the face then that would be tolerable.

These are going to be small batches - 10 of each size at a time with 5 different sizes - so 50 total at a time ('cause that's all I can stand making or my add kicks in).

Photos attached. The one in the photo I had done at a trophy shop and it is actually raised so that is no good because the cam lobe rides on one surface and the other rides against the valve bucket so the surfaces have to remain unaffected by the engraving.

Thanks

If the laser marking is proud, could you send them out with .0005"/.001" of grind stock left on them and then finish to size when you get them back?

The shim retainer side bears on the valve stem, not the retainer, along the bottom edge should be enough room for the size. I never trusted the size anyway, measured each before installing. Nothing worse then installing the cam, and finding an incorrect shim had been installed.Are these Shim under or shim over pieces. The shim unders are darn small.

You don't say but I'm assuming they are steel. If so you could laser anneal the size on and not affect the dimensions.

The suggestion of engraving, then grinding would work too. Just have to specify a deep enough engrave. Couple thou isn't hard with the right laser.

Teryk

McMaster has etching pencils, they make black letters / numbers whatever you want just white it out. I used to use one to mark gears to keep them in sets on the Indycar. I also have one of the kits that McMaster used to sell. You use a typewriter to make a stencil then wipe the acid over it. Looks just like the factory markings except for font of course. I have the new un used kit here somewhere and a new in the box typewriter as well.

McMaster has etching pencils, they make black letters / numbers whatever you want just white it out. I used to use one to mark gears to keep them in sets on the Indycar. I also have one of the kits that McMaster used to sell. You use a typewriter to make a stencil then wipe the acid over it. Looks just like the factory markings except for font of course. I have the new un used kit here somewhere and a new in the box typewriter as well.

John - that's probably the route I will end up going. These are only a "fill-in" job for as there is not much money in them - hardly worth it really - it just keeps spindles busy when there is nothing else to do (like too early to drink beer).

John - that's probably the route I will end up going. These are only a "fill-in" job for as there is not much money in them - hardly worth it really - it just keeps spindles busy when there is nothing else to do (like too early to drink beer).

When I need to mark steel I use gun bluing acid, which is actually black. I use a toothpick as a stylus to apply the acid, and just hand write whatever it is I need to mark on the part.

The low end etcher kit at McMaster is $85.00.
It's not a volume production tool but works although it takes some playing on some scrap to get right.
Stencils best made on an old fashion typewriter.
You can hand draw them or use a old dot-matrix printer for smaller fonts but both of these methods are a pain in the butt.
Better lasers leave no "raised" but these are probably out of the price range of a trophy shop.
A laser could do the side but you might want to code A,B,C..etc to sizes as very many characters means fixturing in a rotary.
Also be aware that some are "laser printers", not laser engravers, these use a coating (Cermark or such), mostly CO2 printing on metal. This will be raised.
Bob

Here it is my test on McMaster etching pen.
Aluminum
Stainless 304
Steel
d403818d7c6f3c297c3c76deac16afa6.jpg

Back