What's new
What's new

RFQ: Jewel finished aluminum sheet

cmjohnson

Hot Rolled
I have a need for some jewel finished aluminum sheet.

Start with this photo as a reference.

fender-vibro-champ-sf-faceplate_1_a3e96fb6b4835b2eeadfb5ea8b2a5064.jpg

I'm looking to get some aluminum sheeting jeweled like this is done.

This is done with 1" diameter Cratex rubberized abrasive rod, spun at a low RPM range (experimentation with pressure, speed, feed, and lubrication is required to get the results) run across the surface of smooth finished aluminum.

The grit of the Cratex rod is to be medium grit. I've done some experiments and medium gets the results I want. (Like in the photo.)
I simply do not have the work envelope to make the product that I need. I don't have anything with 26" of travel in any axis.

The Cratex page that provides information on this product is here:

Jewelling Rods - Cratex Abrasives

The rod is 1" diameter.

I need sheet stock finished in this jewel finish with 100 percent coverage. Width of jeweled area is to be 25" minimum without edge effects, which means, the jeweling rod needs to take 26" full passes.

Finish quality requirement: Clear jeweled pattern with no trace of visible original graining in the aluminum. To be shiny and clear without dark spots. (Dark spots indicate overheading of the Cratex rod. Improve lubrication or decrease speeds, feeds, or rod pressure.)

Every panel I make from the finished material will be 1.875" in width so the finished area needs to be at least that wide. The longest panels to be made are 25".

I'll be duplicating panels similar to the original photo, with different artwork.

Material spec: Not specifying an alloy. Aluminum sheet that gives the desired appearance after finishing, with a minimum thickness of .020" and maximum thickness of .040" is acceptable. A thickness of .032" is ideal.

Panel size: Your work envelope will likely dictate a maximum size. For shipping purposes I'd like to restrict maximum finished panel size to 48" in any one dimension.

Surface protection requirement: The jeweled finish is delicate and all trace of the jeweling rod compound and lubrication must be washed off the panel without creating any visible scratches. And then the panel must be clearcoated in clear protective epoxy, compatible with silk screening over it.

Individual sheets to be separated by non-abrasive paper or plastic film.

Quantity: It will depend on your quoted price per sheet assuming a sheet size of 26 by 48 inches. Quote for 1, 5, and 10 sheets as specified.

Email quotes to [email protected]. Title of quote to include the phrase "jewel finished panel" so that it gets noted and read.

Back