What's new
What's new

RFQ: Looking for a shop in LA/California willing to work with an artist

alexaragon

Plastic
Hello everybody,

I am a sculptor, and I recently graduated from a school where I had the chance to have unrestricted access to an old 13" Logan engine lathe and a Bridgeport mill, and I fell in love with using machined pieces within my work. Now out of school, without access to a shop, and without the space or funds yet to invest in my own machines, I am looking for a shop in Los Angeles (where I live) or California that would be willing to work with me on one-offs or small run of components that I could use in my work.

These components would mostly be small turned pieces, in steel or aluminum, often with tapped holes, etc. I have 3D models and technical drawings I can send to anyone interested. I am also interested in anodized finishes.

I have explored big online machining service, but I would rather work with a local shop that can understand that my needs are slightly different than an industrial company - I have less knowledge of industry standards, tolerances matter less than finish on most surfaces of parts, and I'm happy to change my plans/models to cut costs or machining time as long as the aesthetic properties are preserved.

Thanks a lot for your time and patience,

Alex

Back