What's new
What's new

RFQ - Holes drilled in two large taps

SLOEIT

Cast Iron
Hey all,

I need a through hole down the length of two taps. Taps are HSS 1.37"x24tpi.

Required is a 0.375" (+0.005 -0.000; True Position 0.005") Hole down the length.

Any takers?

nK

Or to hold another tool in it and run 2ops.

There's gotta be someone here with an EDM, maybe you could post this on that part of the forum too?

Ahh, that makes sense.

Cutter, coolant was my first thought too, but the tight tolerance didn't make sense for that.

Sorry to invade on your thread Sloeit, just my curiosity got the better of me again.

This doesn't answer your question, but if I may offer an alternative - Could you make a body to hold 24TPI chasers from a collapsible tapping head? You can build it with an alignment arbor built in, and might be cheaper than the spec. taps.

Mudflap...not sure what your speaking of. However I already purchased the Taps from the UK. $40ea.

Bought two extra's....Friends XMas present...

nK

OK, never mind then.

Could you maybe carefully TIG weld a boss to the end of the tap, bore it,insert a rod and true up the rod? I'm thinking of a rig I made up to true MC steering necks after they were welded - cut one end while piloting off the other end.

Send them to me. I can pop a start hole, then WEDM to size. The taps should have centers which are the datums for the ground thread. We may need to grind the shank between the centers so we have a good datum to locate from. [email protected] . Chris

Back