What's new
What's new

RFQ: Rework existing parts

relogical

Plastic
I have some aluminum parts that need to be fixed. It's a tube shape with two grooves for ball bearings. The issue is that the grooves are not perfectly oval so the ball does not sit evenly in each groove.Take a look at the attached drawing. The grooves should be 8.30mm diameter. I think currently they are close but just not perfectly round. Very little metal needs to be removed. Standard tolerance. I have 50 pcs. Drawing is in millimeters. Thank you

I have no idea why I am not able to display a full size image. Here's a link to the pic Shared album - Lem Nirob - Google Photos

Male Tube (1).jpg

Last edited:
I wondering if you should just post a new thread, asking for prices to make 50 pieces new.

How do you read the drawing? I sure can't. I also agree with Digger, especially if the parts are not all identical. That would make them a PITA to rework.

Click the link for a bigger version of drawing, it looks like a thin wall tube with grooves in it. About 4 1/2" dia

That link wasn't there when I checked this thread. Need more info, at least the wall thickness and if possible a picture. Why don't you get the guy who originally ran them to fix them? It looks like reworking would require making a mandrel. Also if those parts weren't fixtured correctly when machined the O.D. and bore could not be circular making reworking them to satisfaction near impossible. Considering their size and fragility I think I would take them to a local machine shop for a rework quote. They can inspect them quickly to see how bad a shape they are in. As for making them over unlike pipe and tubing out of steels and other materials, aluminum pipe and tubing isn't much more a pound than solid so ordering new ones might not be much more expensive than rework. Especially true if a custom mandrel needs to be made and each part touched off individually because the lengths vary.

Last edited:

Back