What's new
What's new

RFQ for rolled bar rings

MwTech Inc

Titanium
OK, just working on a project but would like some idea of the cost for 75 rings made from 1/4x2 bar (hot roll carbon )

lets say 12" inside dia,...... not aerospace here, so 0.000 to plus .250 is fine.....

Prefer the ends not to be too flat...LOL

I just don't own a roll bender....yet anyway:willy_nilly:

Pm is fine.
Thks

Is it possible to not have the bar flat the distance from the two rolls until after welding and running it back through?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

OK, so you are expecting welded and re-rolled rings then.

When you said "ends" I thought that you was just looking for rolled, but unwelded rings.

No - I'm not able to make, was just wondering if it was possible to make them rad all the way to the end if not welded and re-rolled.
(I'm not a fab guy)

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

could be run back thru....
the lack of any responses has me looking for other ways to either re-design the product or purchase a machine.

Lots of fab shops can do that, but they are probably not on a machining site. Have you looked for tubing the right size?

OK, so you are expecting welded and re-rolled rings then.

When you said "ends" I thought that you was just looking for rolled, but unwelded rings.

No - I'm not able to make, was just wondering if it was possible to make them rad all the way to the end if not welded and re-rolled.
(I'm not a fab guy)

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I've seen it done....full weld, flip over back gouge and weld again.
Grind perfectly flat.

problem is, when re-rolling, you get too much bend going and then "boing" you've ruined
them.

Local shop either pre-bumps the ends in the press brake, for a sort of solution, or rolls
extra length, and then trims the flat ends off.

Higher production will full weld, and then run on an expander to stretch, and size them.

Sort of just put it out there.............
figured we could hash out the details later.............

Just to be clear - I was not challenging you, I was honestly wondering how that would work.

I have machined many rings that had been rolled and welded, and I get a cpl fab magazines that have many ads for breaks and rolls, and I just look at those rolls, and wonder how they get the ends to roll up - again - unless they welded the ends and re-rolled was all that I could imagine. And then with the way that you worded your text - it sounded like maybe it was possible to have rad ends all the way - pre-weld, so I just couldn't contain my curiosity, and had'ta ask.

Again - I wasn't challenging you in any way.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I thought along the same lines as MUD, get some tubing, machine inner and outer to spec, then part off.

OK, just working on a project but would like some idea of the cost for 75 rings made from 1/4x2 bar (hot roll carbon )

lets say 12" inside dia,...... not aerospace here, so 0.000 to plus .250 is fine.....

Prefer the ends not to be too flat...LOL

I just don't own a roll bender....yet anyway:willy_nilly:

Pm is fine.
Thks

Tried sending you a PM but your inbox is full. We can make these parts for you without an issue send me a message with some contact information I’ll I’ll get back to you right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We made a one-off almost exactly like this not long ago to repair a machine. We rolled it, welded it together, and then rerolled it to get it pretty round. I think it was around .25"x2.5"x14". I'll shoot you a PM but I'd definitely investigate using tubing as well.

Not for steel but for future reference, in parts like these out of aluminum, brass, bronze, etc - big tubing or weldments - centrifugal castings are great. Way cheaper and good quality, roundness, density, all that stuff.

Not for steel but for future reference, in parts like these out of aluminum, brass, bronze, etc - big tubing or weldments - centrifugal castings are great. Way cheaper and good quality, roundness, density, all that stuff.

Steel Industries in the greater Detroit area forges rings like these in steel.

------------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Steel Industries in the greater Detroit area forges rings like these in steel.
Yeah, there's a bunch of places up by Liaoning that do this too .... it's an interesting process. Slewing bearings commonly use them.

Just wanted to alert people who had not heard of it that centrifugal cast tube is a viable alternative in non-ferrous. And it's not that exotic, there was even a place in the bay area doing it, pretty cheap and good.

Let me catch up......

Ox , we are good :)

Jeffk....only had 12 messages in folder, maybe that's the limit?? PM sent top you

Good suggestion from others,, Thks

Do not need perfect rings, but cant have 6" of flat either....LOL

Back