Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sent PM with quote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ox,

Indeed,I'm no draftsman and never said I was. Was the sketch quick and dirty/ Yes it was. I'm a retired toolmaker that spent 50 years working with sketches at Martin Marietta, now Lockheed Martin. I'm accustomed to getting things done, and then give the item to an engineer and let him figure out the specs and the drawings.

I came to this forum looking for like minded people, as well as for small shops looking for side work to keep busy. If I want to get these done without a lot of hassle or nonsense I could sent them to China. I'd rather keep the business here.

As a final note, the studs are for toy train motors, you know the kind, the Lionel trains you used to have under the Christmas tree. I'm not trying to rebuild the industry, just trying to keep part of it alive. All of this having been said, if you want to quote, please do so as I will be closing this RFQ Monday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    I wondered who would pick up on the LH thread pictured..... good eye ox.
    I saw it but thought he was showing a cutaway view on the ID.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dewaldron View Post
    Ox,

Indeed,I'm no draftsman and never said I was. Was the sketch quick and dirty/ Yes it was. I'm a retired toolmaker that spent 50 years working with sketches at Martin Marietta, now Lockheed Martin. I'm accustomed to getting things done, and then give the item to an engineer and let him figure out the specs and the drawings.

I came to this forum looking for like minded people, as well as for small shops looking for side work to keep busy. If I want to get these done without a lot of hassle or nonsense I could sent them to China. I'd rather keep the business here.

As a final note, the studs are for toy train motors, you know the kind, the Lionel trains you used to have under the Christmas tree. I'm not trying to rebuild the industry, just trying to keep part of it alive. All of this having been said, if you want to quote, please do so as I will be closing this RFQ Monday.

You don't have to explain to me. I'm not trying to be critical. But many here like to pick a print apart - for two reasons.

A) B/c if you really want it as shown - it is a big deal to nigh impossible - like your OD thread depth shown - which I don't think you've answered yet?

B) Just to be critical for some reason.

No - I'm not quoting.

For what it's worth, I had HO, and is still squirrelled away somewhere.
    Freedom Train, Santa Fe, not sure the rest anymore.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    You don't have to explain to me. I'm not trying to be critical. But many here like to pick a print apart - for two reasons.

A) B/c if you really want it as shown - it is a big deal to nigh impossible - like your OD thread depth shown - which I don't think you've answered yet?

No - I'm not quoting.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Well and prints are our language. When we see something "off" or doesn't make sense, we have questions. It is like trying to read one of thermites posts. I see gobbly gook and just scroll past. If you are ok with people doing that with your RFQ that is your business. As Ox said, it is nothing personal...

FWIW I completely understand 'napkin' sketches fine, IF I can ask a few questions about the part in question. Not so easy on an internet forum.

6. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For the record he did answer the O.D. thread question he said it can be .100 over. So obviously he needs a minimum of .375 full thread.

As for trains I had an O series, I think they are called, the large metal ones. I almost had more trains than track, probably two dozen cars. It was a set my dad had as a kid so it was from the early 40's. It was in pristine shape. I had it laid out in a very large bedroom. So my parents get divorced and my mom, sister and I end up in an apartment 120 miles away. Making do with 1/3 or less of the space the train set ends up in the closet. A couple years later I am 15 into playing sports and ready to get my first car. I do not play with trains anymore. My mom gets remarried and I am encouraged to clean out my closet and donate anything I don't play with anymore, before we move to a new house. The train set ends up in a Goodwill box.

Fast forward a couple years I leave town and go to college. New girl I start dating has a mother who buys and sells antiques on the side. She told me those old train cars were worth $50+. That was 1979, I wonder what they are worth now?

8. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My thoughts....

As machinist...i dont like the print that does not make sense BUT my engineers sometimes do not know how to dimension either but I stil work with them to change it/ improve it.

As people who need works....you can always as the OP questions, to see if it can be changed or modify.

As helpers...you can always give suggestions, ask questions to improve it and helps others to understand.

For me....if something that does not make sense or if I have questions....I will ask to see/to find a way to make it, or possible to make the part.

Hope people need work done dont turn away from this forum

Like I said...you can always ask the OP or ppls submit the prints questions it is not a perfect world...right??? RFQ - Small turned partRFQ - Small turned partRFQ - Small turned part

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post

No - I'm not quoting.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Well, given that I said that we would be using a 6-32 X 1/4 screw, then it makes sense that we need at least 1/4" of usable thread.

"B) Just to be critical for some reason."

I understand completely. There's always someone out there. It's like government engineers. They take a drawing of a mouse and turn it into an elephant.

11. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dualkit, thos 20 engines and cars today, at even junk prices would bring $300 to $500

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bidding is now closed on this quotation. Thank you to all who participated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dewaldron View Post
    Ox,

I know how you feel. I went thru the same crap a few years ago with a simple sketch of some parts we have made outside. A simple part from standard hex stock, threaded on one end and pointed on the other. Pretty basic for anyone with machining experience and with all the info necessary to make the part as is done all the time in shops across the world.Some of the same critics of my print are doing the same to yours. They seemed to be more interested in pointing out the the shortcomings of my print then actually doing the job. The ones that made the most noise never did quote the job but continued to negatively speculate on the size of our company and the caliber of work we must do. I finally had a member step up and say he worked from prints like mine all the time and had no problem quoting the job. At that time we were only buying 2500 parts a year, today we're up to 15,000 a year and Dan at Evans Machine is still doing the job for me. My point being, for all the knowledge on this forum, there is more than likely someone who will help you, if you can deal with the BS long enough.

15. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by swamp dweller View Post
    I know how you feel. I went thru the same crap a few years ago with a simple sketch of some parts we have made outside. A simple part from standard hex stock, threaded on one end and pointed on the other. Pretty basic for anyone with machining experience and with all the info necessary to make the part as is done all the time in shops across the world.Some of the same critics of my print are doing the same to yours. They seemed to be more interested in pointing out the the shortcomings of my print then actually doing the job. The ones that made the most noise never did quote the job but continued to negatively speculate on the size of our company and the caliber of work we must do. I finally had a member step up and say he worked from prints like mine all the time and had no problem quoting the job. At that time we were only buying 2500 parts a year, today we're up to 15,000 a year and Dan at Evans Machine is still doing the job for me. My point being, for all the knowledge on this forum, there is more that likely someone who will help you, if you can deal with the BS long enough.

I know it's all a moot point as OP has closed bidding. But to the few people that seem to be offended, you are missing the point. It's an internet forum I (we) can't read your mind. I'm sure most of us can work to "napkin" prints with no problem. 2 problems I see with that -

1) They quote you on exactly what your print looks like. You think they are a thief and never follow up / get pissed off, or whatever...

2) They ass-u-me they know what you want and quote and make accordingly (when in fact you did need it exactly to print), only for the whole deal to go south and lots of finger pointing.

Addressing the OP (not picking on)- it took 19 responses before we found out the male thread could be +.1 and it didn't really matter (length wise I am interpreting). This is why a properly dimensioned / detailed print with the RFQ is important. Or at the minimum a "Not really sure if this is correct, feel free to ask, or this is what the part is doing", or a variation of either..

17. Likes Ox liked this post