What's new
What's new

RFQ: Torx type drivers with tight tolerances on tip

Jsalad

Plastic
Qty 2-6

Material can be either 455 or 465 SS condition H900.
It's a cylindrical part with a maximum diameter of .5". Part is 6.25" long.

The driver tip is a modified, tapered T10 torx with a profile tolerance of .00025". It does need to be that tight for what we need it for.

1/4" - 20 thread on opposite end which will go into a handle.

Surface to be blasted with silica glass bead.

If you can do laser etching and chrome coating, or know someone who does, that's a plus.

Can you do it under 5 weeks?

Thanks in advance!

Our customer has parts that this is supposed to fit into, so it would be more a functional test right now. If we plan on doing more of these in the future we'll likely have custom gages made.

You are going to check a complex profile with internal and external radii to a tolerance of .00025 with a test fit? Did you actually mean .0025? That would at least seem more reasonable.

I'm pretty sure bead blasting the part would move ruin the .00025 profile tolerance.

Standard Torx drivers have enough taper to be sure of a tight fit, AND they are standardized internationally. I don't get why there's a problem unless your customer had the parts cold headed in China. Or the Torx socket is undersized for the torque required, which kind of sounds like the case. Or you have a Torx Plus socket and a standard Torx driver.

The best hexalobular impact bits are made from 6150 and hardened to Rc55+; stainless of any variety is a mistake.

The best hexalobular impact bits are made from 6150 and hardened to Rc55+; stainless of any variety is a mistake.

It might be for a medical application - think bone screw driver.

Just a guess. Sort of goes against grit blasting, so maybe a bad guess...

I'm confused why they'd want a chrome plating after machining - 465 is supposed to not need such a coating due to inherent corrosion resistance. It's also at risk of flaking off depending on usage.

Does it need to be 0.00025" profile tolerance before or after blasting and chrome plating? Can you provide the mating part to make sure it fits?

Does it need to be 0.00025" profile tolerance before or after blasting and chrome plating? Can you provide the mating part to make sure it fits?

I have to agree with this and the other....

.00025 and the words "blasted" and "Chromed" doo not in any way go together with that tol.
Not unless you are going to overchrome and then machine (EDM/Grind) it back down to size.

Just getting a feature that shape chromed and even just trying to hold .0025 would be a major challenge I'm thinking.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back