What's new
What's new

RPF - Aluminum Belt Buckle Design

HeathM

Plastic
Hey Gang,
A buddy suggested I get on the forum to ask the group for feedback. I own a buckle company and have had several one off requests for a design. I'm beginning the process of finding a machinist who is interested in doing this type of work and wanted to find out what the cost would be to produce a one off design made of aluminum in the approximate dimension of 3 1/4" X 2 1/4". I have a logo from a customer attached, but its a simple JPG. Is this something you can work with or do I need to get a CAD file to work from? I'm new to this so I have to ask a few dumb questions...apologies in advance. NKG Logo.JPG

Thanks to all for the guidance and help. I would expect to make a decision and move forward within a week if this isn't cost prohibitive.

Kind regards - Heath

Hey Guys - Sorry. RFP...fat fingers!
I haven't established a budget for the project. I'm coming to the forum to figure out what is realistic.

Hey 72bwhite - I haven't established a target price. I'm hoping you can provide some guidance around what is realistic for the material.

You really haven’t given us enough info to begin thinking about pricing it... even a picture of a type of engraving (there’s tons of ways to put a logo on metal) would help. Most shops can work from a pdf but converting it to a workable file costs money... this 1 off buckle can range from $40 to $4000 depending on all the factors.

Will you have a buckle “blank” that just needs engraving..?

If it's for a one off, have you considered 3D printing a master in plastic to be burned out in "lost wax" casting?

Of corse, machined or cast is a very different look, what process you use depends on what you want in the finished piece.

Would you consider a brass or steel buckle? I don't think I could make the tang and loop portion large enough to support the stress yet still look good. I have made some Al bits but they get bulky and are still pretty weak.
img-0903-1.jpg

Last edited:

Back