What's new
What's new

Seeking custom tap and die set

Thorsrevenge1

Plastic
Hello everyone, Im new to posting, though I have stalked through the forum for years reading this and that. I run a blacksmith and fabrication shop out in colorado and I'm in need of some one off tooling that I do not have the skills or knowledge to make myself. To that end here I am hoping to find someone to take on the project.

The project is to make a set or two of some one off tooling I need. Specifically I need a tap and die set for cutting 1" 4 start threads with each individual thread being 1" 4tpi, with each start clocked 90 degrees from the last. Now not being a machinist myself I know this is not nearly enough nor precise enough information to actually get the job done. Luckily or I think it's lucky. I have examples of both the internal and external threads I needs the tools to make. As to heat treating depending on the material I do have the means to do some heat treating on more basic tool steels such as s7 or basic carbon steels. If anyone can give me a quote for the project that would be awesome. Or if you know someone who might be willing that would be helpful too.

Than you.

For custom taps and dies, look to Widel Industries (Mich/Fla) or North American Tool (Chi Town).

However - I would think that the finished parts would more likely be cut on a CNC lathe with single point tooling.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I'm hoping to find a small shop or hobbyist that can take on the job as this is a one off. Most larger shops I've talked to want a minimum order of sets. I unfortunately only need the one set two max.

I'm hoping to find a small shop or hobbyist that can take on the job as this is a one off. Most larger shops I've talked to want a minimum order of sets. I unfortunately only need the one set two max.

You obviously have no clue what you are asking for.
The last person that you want making a tap or die is a hobbyist.
The equipment and the knowledge involved here is NOT such that the common machinist would be able to produce reliably.
Let alone for a 4 pitch Acme!

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Wasn't there a poster hear, years ago wanting such "hobbyist" workers, named "RubberZerk"
or some similar name ?

Cheap, Cheap, Cheap.

With all respect, Ox: Bullshit.
I am 83 and now a hobbyist. I haven't forgotten how to machine parts. There are a lot of us older folks that are retired but still do machining as a hobby. Don't underestimate us.

You have experience producing threading tools?
... and you have the equipment to produce this in house?

If so - by all means jump in there!

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You have experience producing threading tools?
... and you have the equipment to produce this in house?

If so - by all means jump in there!

----------------------

I have the equipment.
I do not have the experience, but that never stopped me.

There are two (or more) issues with multi start taps, let alone full depth ACME. Even if one had a lathe that clocks additional starts, achieving a high tool grade finish is a different story. Degrees of roughness increase torque needed to tap any hole, let alone a full depth ACME. One hiccup and bizzzz-dinggg, snapped tool, lost part, with a lodged in place full depth ACME.

It would far more productive to source this relatively large ACME rod and nut made commercially; produced on line engaged to do so, thus lowering costs. There is a nearly infinite quantity of industrial suppliers, but not all handle everything. Word your google search as a standard part 1" Ø 4 start ACME lead screw [or shaft] and nut. Forget the 90° part, multi's are divisions of 360°, 4 starts 90, 3 starts 120, 2 starts 180.......even 5 start as used in small robotics.

Back