Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We used to make tens of thousands of parts for T&B then one day in the eighties someone thought it would be a great idea to consolidate vendors .A lot of guys got hurt we never had a quality issue or delivery problems we worked to help develop some products with them . When they made the change we asked if they would buy the inventory we had on hand they would not. I personally at this point wouldn’t do work for any large company that wants to dictate terms and treat their vendors like a commodity. I have built good relationships with small to midsize companies and life is a lot less stressful.

2. Likes Dualkit, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you guys want to work for scrap that’s fine with me . I came up with a lot of screw machine guys that did just that . You run your ass off all day for scrap to make the difference . What happens when the price changes and you have a couple of tons of turnings . Not worth the effort . Charge a rate to make what you are worth and you will never get jobs like these .This guy wants China prices if you figure the cost of a multi or rotary transfer machine even a bank of old Brownies you won’t get where they want you
    Good luck

4. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My post should not be considered a knock on ALL T&B facilities and personnel, my experience is limited to one plant and interactions with corporate on a few assigned issues within the last 10 years. I would strongly suggest anybody doing business with T&B ensure that all the details are clearly spelled out to CYA. Any/all drawings should be in a usable file type with material/tolerance/finish specified and signed approval for. I'm saying this for reasons I won't go into here. Help from engineering may/may not be reliable or even accurate, plan accordingly. At one facility the engineering staff was, at best, very under informed, with predictable personnel/results from the patronage system in place. Co-operation at the corporate level was often non-existent and throwing the problem over-the-wall was SOP. ABB has plenty of money and resources but details/decisions on the local level may not be informed, reliable, or correct. Crunch the numbers, get a sign-off at every step, and limit your own risk. Apologies to anybody that's undeserving of my assessment. Used to be a good company, times have changed. Good luck. Ganbatte.
    Last edited by AD Design; 10-06-2020 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Not enough coffee

6. Likes upm2019, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JEFF, Not sure you found what your looking for yet, we are a small shop, we have mills lathes and grinders, we also have experience in brass and bronze we manufactured bronze thrust plates for our hydraulic motors, if you need a quote still for your end caps respond and i will get you with the engineer he has 65 years exp. we can properly quote this out for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seeking Manufacturer for Machined Brass Parts

Working for brass scrap or not, it’s tough to find Chinese prices for precision machining in today’s America.

Any machine shop worthy of the name should be busy, and the desire to tackle large volume brass parts for cheap just doesn’t make sense to most.

About 15 years ago, a corporate shakeup at one of our best customers sent four of our main parts to China — and this was after machining them for almost a decade with nary a price increase.

Funny thing, a couple months ago this customer calls in a panic, needing us to re-quote the four parts.

Our business has changed, and considering they are tricky parts that required a lot of input and oversight by me, I simply doubled the price from years ago on the quote.

Now granted, doubling the price sounds greedy, but in reality, they are still getting fair prices for these tricky parts made in America.

Funny how it’s been crickets every since I sent the quote back...

Customers are selling these parts/assemblies for many multiples of what they’re paying for the machined pieces!

Yet, companies won’t even consider paying more for the very parts they can’t make themselves, or have made here at a fair price.

So, I would imagine back to China they go...

ToolCat

9. Likes upm2019 liked this post