What's new
What's new

Seeking stainless steel turning RFQ

thelampire

Plastic
Hi Everybody!

I am new to the forum, but I think I came to the right place. I would need 4 parts to be manufactured out of stainless steel. They are not precision parts, but they do have fine 1mm threads. I am trying to get a ballpark quote here. I actually have no idea how much these would cost to manufacture, please forgive me if I don't accept the quote and it is actually a reasonable price for manufacturing.
I couldn't upload the PDFs of the drawings here, so here is a google drive link:

Google Drive

There is one error in the drawings, both of the smallest outer diameters are 7.95mm+0mm-0.05mm, they should meet with a 10mmx8mmx5mm brass bushing.

Please let me know how much would this cost me! I would need 1pc of each bigger part and 2pc of the washer. The washer should have an outer surface just like a quick-release bicycle hub would to increase friction. If you could harden the flat surface of the washer and its counterpart of the two other parts, that would be welcome, as well.

The whole point of these parts is to put a thrust bearing in between the washer and the part to be able to rotate my bicycle while it's mounted in my Tacx Neo trainer.

Thank you for considering!

Just one set? $800.00. Material cost is insignificant, it’s all the time to program, set up and cost of tooling.

I am more like looking for somebody who can do this in his garage on a manual lathe. I don't think this would take more than an hour to do.

Not trying to be rude here. But you say in one breath you have no idea what these should cost to manufacture, then in another you've quoted the time it should take(1hr in your opinion).

I've had a couple people come to me with this strategy in the past. It's always a no quote.

I do give you points for understanding that you need to find someone with a manual in their garage, because that's exactly who you need.

Honest word of advice...When asking for quotes, don't tell the person quoting your opinion on how long it should take or how much you think it should cost.

Not trying to be rude here. But you say in one breath you have no idea what these should cost to manufacture, then in another you've quoted the time it should take(1hr in your opinion).

I've had a couple people come to me with this strategy in the past. It's always a no quote.

I do give you points for understanding that you need to find someone with a manual in their garage, because that's exactly who you need.

Honest word of advice...When asking for quotes, don't tell the person quoting your opinion on how long it should take or how much you think it should cost.

Why not be rude? Unless a person has been around similar work in the past they have no idea how long it should take. I see saying it should take an hour is a condescending insult to anyone who would take longer than an hour. An hour plus would get burned just scrounging up supplies and shipping the parts. Contrary to what the op desires a part time guy in his garage doing side projects for beer money will lack the skills and tooling to do the job. The chances of a small part time operation having a 5mm broach, a face knurling tool and the quick means to check a 14mm x 1mm and 15 x 1mm thread are none. I do believe a someone who is idled due to losing a lot of customers to Covid will do this job a lot cheaper than the $800 mentioned above, but definitely not in the pizza and beer money range the OP delusionally thinks will happen. He will probably be shocked at the made in China price and if he isn't he got a hold of one of those pennies on the dollar China shops that ship junk.

I am sorry for being controversial. You are right. I absolutely have no idea how much time it would need to be made, I shouldn't have written anywhing. Maybe from aluminum one could do it in a reasonable amount of time, maybe. I did not want to offend the community with this.

Thank you for the clarification, both of you are showing good points. I thought I could get the parts for about a 100USD, but I can see that it's not going to work.

Why not be rude?

Because I don't think he has a clue like you and I do. Not really sure it's helpful for the given situation.

Sometimes it's best to explain so the person has some understanding of what's at hand.

I do get your point, and agree...But what is the gain in being rude to someone that is oblivious? Maybe people should default to not speaking on subjects they have no intimate knowledge of? I would agree there...But it's not going to happen.

My impression is this poster comes from a place of no understanding, not a malicious place.

Hi Everybody!

I am new to the forum, but I think I came to the right place. I would need 4 parts to be manufactured out of stainless steel. They are not precision parts, but they do have fine 1mm threads. I am trying to get a ballpark quote here. I actually have no idea how much these would cost to manufacture, please forgive me if I don't accept the quote and it is actually a reasonable price for manufacturing.
I couldn't upload the PDFs of the drawings here, so here is a google drive link:

Google Drive

There is one error in the drawings, both of the smallest outer diameters are 7.95mm+0mm-0.05mm, they should meet with a 10mmx8mmx5mm brass bushing.

Please let me know how much would this cost me! I would need 1pc of each bigger part and 2pc of the washer. The washer should have an outer surface just like a quick-release bicycle hub would to increase friction. If you could harden the flat surface of the washer and its counterpart of the two other parts, that would be welcome, as well.

The whole point of these parts is to put a thrust bearing in between the washer and the part to be able to rotate my bicycle while it's mounted in my Tacx Neo trainer.

Thank you for considering!

those washers are not a lathe item.... and yes they do make them in mass quantity. they are a style of lock washer.

the other 2 parts...... sure the turning is easy. but the broaching is what will cost you $$$$ along with it being hardened......

Because I don't think he has a clue like you and I do. Not really sure it's helpful for the given situation.

Sometimes it's best to explain so the person has some understanding of what's at hand.

I do get your point, and agree...But what is the gain in being rude to someone that is oblivious? Maybe people should default to not speaking on subjects they have no intimate knowledge of? I would agree there...But it's not going to happen.

My impression is this poster comes from a place of no understanding, not a malicious place.

I understand he doesn't have a clue, but I don't go around telling people how long a job should take if I have not done something similar myself or watched it done. That comment rubbed me the wrong way, that just strikes me as someone that does not value someone who has skills that they don't. You remove the comment about how long it should take and I have a completely different attitude. I have countless times happily explained why one offs cost so much money, even when a poster responds with shock and accusing everyone of trying to get rich off them. That doesn't happen here that much but frequently did on the Zone, a place on no longer go to.

A good example of that would be a guy who designed a custom boat propeller and wanted just one, off the shelf cast ones similar in size sold for $100, he was expecting to pay double, when the quotes came back at $2k+, he freaked out.

I agree, it was very disrespectful of me to write the one hour. I've been around a lathe some time and I know a very experienced machinist back in my home country who could do it in about an hour (probably without the washers, though).
Yes, I was thinking about some sort of mini-lathe as I am interested in machining a whole lot, but that's a different discussion.

I apologize for everyone whom I offended. I'm sorry.

I agree, it was very disrespectful of me to write the one hour. I've been around a lathe some time and I know a very experienced machinist back in my home country who could do it in about an hour (probably without the washers, though).
Yes, I was thinking about some sort of mini-lathe as I am interested in machining a whole lot, but that's a different discussion.

I apologize for everyone whom I offended. I'm sorry.

Two oddball threads and a broach in an hour? I would like to see that. Just having the tooling and items to inspect those parts, would be rare to have in a small shop. The clock starts running on anything you do related to the job. Cleaning, packing, shipping and billing has to already kill 15 minutes.

A good example of that would be a guy who designed a custom boat propeller and wanted just one, off the shelf cast ones similar in size sold for $100, he was expecting to pay double, when the quotes came back at $2k+, he freaked out.

I just no quote anyone who comes in for a misc part that goes to...insert whatever hobby here.

Have a guy in our industrial park who has asked me numerous times to make gun parts. First, we don't make gun parts. Second, he actually thinks he can save money by me making a one off for him. I'm nice, but stern. It's always no.

Also have a customer who is one we want to keep always asking for prototypes. They also think they can quote machine time for me from a chair across the country. It's been a thorn in my side for quite some time. They are not manufacturers btw, but retail sales.

They cannot understand why a production part can easily cost 20x as a one off. I've explained, then given up. Let the chips fall where they may.

Lesson learned. You can be sure that I won't make a mistake like this again. Thank you all for all the information!

Back