What's new
What's new

Small Precision Ground Cylindrical Parts

NautiSouth

Plastic
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a machining source that can deliver three parts finished to drawing specifications. Parts to consider are to be made from a high-carbon bearing steel, heat treated prior to finish grind. Operations to potentially include:

- rough machine
- heat treat (via directed source)
- mill
- drill
- EDM
- centerless grind
- OD profile grind
- ID grind (potentially)
- surface grind
- inspection on a percentage of the run
- optical comparator inspection

Complete 3D data and 2D dimensioned drawings are available.

Quantity: 32pcs initially. Conservative estimate of 1000pcs/yr.

Rough Dimensions: Round cylindrical parts under 2.5" long and below .800" diameter

Material Required Date: 1/15/2020

Preference given to shops in the United States. Southeastern US or Midwestern US highly preferred.

Discussions will follow agreement on terms of non-disclosure.

Terms of Payment: 1% 10/Net 30

Message me privately on this forum if you are interested.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a machining source that can deliver three parts finished to drawing specifications. Parts to consider are to be made from a high-carbon bearing steel, heat treated prior to finish grind. Operations to potentially include:

- rough machine
- heat treat (via directed source)
- mill
- drill
- EDM
- centerless grind
- OD profile grind
- ID grind (potentially)
- surface grind
- inspection on a percentage of the run
- optical comparator inspection

Complete 3D data and 2D dimensioned drawings are available.

Quantity: 32pcs initially. Conservative estimate of 1000pcs/yr.

Rough Dimensions: Round cylindrical parts under 2.5" long and below .800" diameter

Material Required Date: 1/15/2020

Preference given to shops in the United States. Southeastern US or Midwestern US highly preferred.

Discussions will follow agreement on terms of non-disclosure.

Message me privately on this forum if you are interested.

1) You really need to post a picture, even if not dimensioned so people have an idea of what they will be quoting. No one wants to start an email chain of events to find out the part is out of their league...

2) I see you are new here, just a bit of advice, DON'T try and dictate how to make the part, let "us" machinist decide the best ways...

Thanks for your advice, Mike. I've been an engineer for a good while, and I understand that dictating the process doesn't work in my favor. I can see how it came across that way, given the title of the post.

Suffice it to say, these parts have tolerances typical to the processes I described above. My drawings don't dictate the processes, but the requirements.

Bringing this up to the top. I'm still seeking quotes on these three small parts. PM me if interested in quoting.

Back