What's new
What's new

RFQ - Aluminum Castings

JLeather

Cast Iron
I want to reproduce a small run of vintage aluminum motorcycle oilpans (I have one for a sample). I'll do all the machining, just looking for a place for the castings. First round will be 10 unless it's cost prohibitive, and maybe even another run later, so it may be worth having a pattern made vs. duplicating off the old part. It's about 10" x 12" x 6" rough guesstimate (and mostly hollow). I'm looking for a place that does aluminum casting to see about the cost for either duplicates, or a pattern and then a casting run. Anyone know a good place with experience duplicating old parts? Not many critical dimensions, but it will have to have the length/width compensated for shrink so there's room to machine the mating surface.

Post some pictures of the part. There are a couple ways this can be approached. After I see some pictures, I can give you ballpark estimates for different options.

JLeather,
I use a place in Somerville Ma. called
MYSTIC VALLEY FOUNDRY. Always get nice
Aluminum or Bronze castings. Price and
delivery have been very reasonable too.
the guy to talk to is Arthur.
Mystic Valley Foundry
617 547-1819 phone
617 547-4466 fax
spaeth

I've had drastic variations in quality and pricing with patternmakers and foundries.

I would think ballpark $500-$1500 for a quality pattern and $25-$50 per casting in runs of 10.

I'm sure there's a lot I don't know, but I don't see how it's possible to get an aluminum part reproduced without a pattern. If you cast off the part it won't be the same thing. On a part that big it will be quite a bit different.

Or steel....

The client was reluctant to send his original from fear of loss, so I got to work from an Aluminum piece cast from the original steel casting.

Naturally it was smaller (castings shrink on cooling)

So I got to do DOUBLE head scratching to make the pattern - first to determine original size, then to add in the 7/32" per foot shrink for the steel.:D

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...castings-look-good-255315/?highlight=castings

Check and see if you have an aluminum foundry somewhat local to you.
They probably have a pattern shop or shops they like working with, and might tell you who will have best price for pattern equipment needed for your short run.
You'd probably be better off looking for a small operation, larger places usually don't want to mess with a short run job like that. Or if they would, you might be looking at a long wait for your castings.

Sorry, I should have said bring original part to foundry, and they find a pattern shop to quote price, to be included in casting price.
I've seen small backyard operations over the years that make pretty nice castings, A place like that might be willing to work with you even if you make your own pattern

I dug it out and cleaned it up for these pics. It's smaller than I was guessing. Right around 10" x 7 1/2" x 3" in actuality. Looks to have been sandcast originally.

I know I can search for aluminum foundries, but I was hoping for some recommendations of places that specifically do reproductions of parts, or places that someone can speak to the quality of their work and pricing. As others have mentioned, there is wide variety in prices and quality of this kind of work, and I'd rather not sink money into the wrong foundry.

Spaeth, thanks for the recommendation. I had actually found and bookmarked that site earlier, and I'm glad to hear from someone with actual experience from them. I may see what they have to say about it.

Thats not an oil pan thats a sump. (Joke :D Just different over here.)

Be sure you factor in the cost of flycutting or lapping the sealing surface on a machine after. You want a really good fixture with no mucking around to make this cost effective. (I'm sure you know this but hey I love motorcycle stuff)

JLeather,

If you can't find someone locally to do this for you I could contact a foundry I know of in WI, find what they need for equipment and give you a price for building a pattern and getting castings. Just let me know if you're interested.

Bob Scowden

Back