What's new
What's new

Source for AR WSSM Carrier assemblies and barrel extensions..........

david n

Diamond
Long shot here, but I'm looking for a customer of mine. He needs a source for WSSM carrier assemblies and barrel extensions. His old source moved on and his new source is less than desirable in quality. He's not in high volumes obviously, but he's willing to pay a premium for good parts. I know everyone who is doing standard AR carriers/bolts are swamped and would not want to run a few hundred in WSSM.......but maybe if the price is right.............? PM me if ya have a lead. TIA

What doo you mean by "Barrel Extensions"?

Like glorified flash hider / muzzle breaks?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

What doo you mean by "Barrel Extensions"?

Like glorified flash hider / muzzle breaks?
---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The barrel extension is the part that mates with the locking lugs on the rotating front part of the bolt. On an AR they are machined as a separate part and the barrel mates with it as it would a receiver on other rifles. This is what allows for the use of lightweight aluminum or even plastic for the upper receiver. When in battery the bolt, extension and barrel contain all the pressure.

HUH!

Made me go look yet again!

I never realized that was a secondary piece!

I've had hundreds (thousands?) of barrels through here over the years, and I have NEVER seen one that didn't have that part on it.
I always thought that was integral to the barrel.

:o

:dopeslap:

:gossip:

Apparently this is made this way so that the "nut" is replaceable and not a new barrel needed?
Doo these wear out in heavy use? (and not the barrel?)

A barrel nut is something else altogether....

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

HUH!

Made me go look yet again!

I never realized that was a secondary piece!

I've had hundreds (thousands?) of barrels through here over the years, and I have NEVER seen one that didn't have that part on it.
I always thought that was integral to the barrel.

:o

:dopeslap:

:gossip:

Apparently this is made this way so that the "nut" is replaceable and not a new barrel needed?
Doo these wear out in heavy use? (and not the barrel?)

A barrel nut is something else altogether....

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The extension, once installed on barrel is held in place by a dowel which indexes the barrel to the upper reciever (note orientation of bullet guide cuts). The gas port is indexed to the dowel slot on upper receiver as is sight tower if equipped.

Once barrel becomes unservicable it's not economical to salvage and attempt to reuse a worn extension.

There is a barrel nut with shoulder that secures barrel to upper receiver.

Yeah, I didn't think about the fact that you're not going to git it to line up to the bolt and the gas hole location both ever again.

So then - it must be a "cheaper to mfg this way" thing then...
Is it possibly different grades of material?

.. yeah, I'm guessin' that the nut (?) is hard, and I know the barrel has been stress relieved. (416, 8620?)
I guess that's the reason...

>50 yrs old and still learnin'! :D
(and forgettin')

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yeah, I didn't think about the fact that you're not going to git it to line up to the bolt and the gas hole location both ever again.

So then - it must be a "cheaper to mfg this way" thing then...
Is it possibly different grades of material?

.. yeah, I'm guessin' that the nut (?) is hard, and I know the barrel has been stress relieved. (416, 8620?)
I guess that's the reason...

>50 yrs old and still learnin'! :D
(and forgettin')

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I'd guess your "forgettin'" about turning bar exceeds by many times the knowledge of most mortals.

That's part of the genius of the Stoner design. Instead of starting with a large diameter bar and turning most of it into chips, the barrel can be made of thinner stock and several of the relatively short extensions made from one bar of the larger stock. Saves on both material and machining time costs.

Back on topic -

Try Rim Country Machine in AZ - I think they are near Payson AZ - I know they do lots of Barrels/extensions

There is also Bear Creak Aresenal out east - I've had them make production qty of custom barrel blanks for us in the past.

Also try ER Shaw contract manufacturing dept. We source barrel blanks from them on a regular basis

Last shot would be Mossberg, cutome manufacturing dept - We have bought oddball stuff from them in the past

Be prepared for a long wait and at least 100 pc minimums

Good Luck -

Chris

Back