Source for AR WSSM Carrier assemblies and barrel extensions..........
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pillager, MN
    Posts
    6,372
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1933
    Likes (Received)
    6210

    Default Source for AR WSSM Carrier assemblies and barrel extensions..........

    Long shot here, but I'm looking for a customer of mine. He needs a source for WSSM carrier assemblies and barrel extensions. His old source moved on and his new source is less than desirable in quality. He's not in high volumes obviously, but he's willing to pay a premium for good parts. I know everyone who is doing standard AR carriers/bolts are swamped and would not want to run a few hundred in WSSM.......but maybe if the price is right.............? PM me if ya have a lead. TIA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    27,683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8016
    Likes (Received)
    9757

    Default

    What doo you mean by "Barrel Extensions"?

    Like glorified flash hider / muzzle breaks?


    ---------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pillager, MN
    Posts
    6,372
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1933
    Likes (Received)
    6210

    Default

    Barrel nuts...............some call them extensions...............

    download.jpg

  4. Likes DrHook liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    27,683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8016
    Likes (Received)
    9757

    Default

    OK, well that's altogether diff than the AR then....


    -----------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    7,514
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6224
    Likes (Received)
    6661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    What doo you mean by "Barrel Extensions"?

    Like glorified flash hider / muzzle breaks?
    ---------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    The barrel extension is the part that mates with the locking lugs on the rotating front part of the bolt. On an AR they are machined as a separate part and the barrel mates with it as it would a receiver on other rifles. This is what allows for the use of lightweight aluminum or even plastic for the upper receiver. When in battery the bolt, extension and barrel contain all the pressure.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    27,683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8016
    Likes (Received)
    9757

    Default

    HUH!

    Made me go look yet again!

    I never realized that was a secondary piece!

    I've had hundreds (thousands?) of barrels through here over the years, and I have NEVER seen one that didn't have that part on it.
    I always thought that was integral to the barrel.










    Apparently this is made this way so that the "nut" is replaceable and not a new barrel needed?
    Doo these wear out in heavy use? (and not the barrel?)



    A barrel nut is something else altogether....


    -----------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  8. Likes DrHook liked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    93
    Likes (Received)
    608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    HUH!

    Made me go look yet again!

    I never realized that was a secondary piece!

    I've had hundreds (thousands?) of barrels through here over the years, and I have NEVER seen one that didn't have that part on it.
    I always thought that was integral to the barrel.










    Apparently this is made this way so that the "nut" is replaceable and not a new barrel needed?
    Doo these wear out in heavy use? (and not the barrel?)



    A barrel nut is something else altogether....


    -----------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    The extension, once installed on barrel is held in place by a dowel which indexes the barrel to the upper reciever (note orientation of bullet guide cuts). The gas port is indexed to the dowel slot on upper receiver as is sight tower if equipped.

    Once barrel becomes unservicable it's not economical to salvage and attempt to reuse a worn extension.

    There is a barrel nut with shoulder that secures barrel to upper receiver.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    27,683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8016
    Likes (Received)
    9757

    Default

    Yeah, I didn't think about the fact that you're not going to git it to line up to the bolt and the gas hole location both ever again.

    So then - it must be a "cheaper to mfg this way" thing then...
    Is it possibly different grades of material?

    .. yeah, I'm guessin' that the nut (?) is hard, and I know the barrel has been stress relieved. (416, 8620?)
    I guess that's the reason...


    >50 yrs old and still learnin'!
    (and forgettin')


    ----------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    93
    Likes (Received)
    608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Yeah, I didn't think about the fact that you're not going to git it to line up to the bolt and the gas hole location both ever again.

    So then - it must be a "cheaper to mfg this way" thing then...
    Is it possibly different grades of material?

    .. yeah, I'm guessin' that the nut (?) is hard, and I know the barrel has been stress relieved. (416, 8620?)
    I guess that's the reason...


    >50 yrs old and still learnin'!
    (and forgettin')


    ----------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I'd guess your "forgettin'" about turning bar exceeds by many times the knowledge of most mortals.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    7,514
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6224
    Likes (Received)
    6661

    Default

    That's part of the genius of the Stoner design. Instead of starting with a large diameter bar and turning most of it into chips, the barrel can be made of thinner stock and several of the relatively short extensions made from one bar of the larger stock. Saves on both material and machining time costs.

  13. Likes DrHook liked this post
  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    107
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    14

    Default

    Back on topic -

    Try Rim Country Machine in AZ - I think they are near Payson AZ - I know they do lots of Barrels/extensions

    There is also Bear Creak Aresenal out east - I've had them make production qty of custom barrel blanks for us in the past.

    Also try ER Shaw contract manufacturing dept. We source barrel blanks from them on a regular basis

    Last shot would be Mossberg, cutome manufacturing dept - We have bought oddball stuff from them in the past

    Be prepared for a long wait and at least 100 pc minimums

    Good Luck -

    Chris

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    11
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Default

    Good experience, good folk, try w SOTA Manufacturing in Oakland Park (Fort Lauderdale) FL, SOTAmfg.com, recently expanded capability building out with more machines-n-space, handle firearm component work.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •