What's new
What's new

Spray welding shaft

MwTech Inc

Titanium
The attached picture shows the damage to shaft, dia. is 1.125

Before I go ahead with some type of "mechanical" repair I thought I would try spray first.

Affected area is about 3.5 long

Need a figure for repairs and lead time.
This is a customer job, not a happy homeowner fixer upper....LOL

[email protected]
Thks

Attachments

• feed roll.JPG
    feed roll.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 184
The late John Stevenson used to post pix all the time
of these jobs, he would just MIG weld it up, and re-machine.

The late John Stevenson used to post pix all the time
of these jobs, he would just MIG weld it up, and re-machine.

I have done this twice in the last few months. My lathe has a VFD so variable speed and I rigged a short tube on the tool holder for the mig gun. A "U" shaped piece of wire became my trigger lock and I engaged a very coarse feed around 3/16 per rev.
It took over an hour to rig it up the first time but after that I just mounted the tube in the tool holder, covered the ways with a leather welding apron, pulled the wire feeder up by the lathe and it was done in a few minutes.
Metal spray with powder and torch is OK I guess but repairs I have done on old shafts that had been sprayed were just plain weird. The powder does not really fuse into the base metal and I could see that when I tried a weld buildup. I ended up having to grind off all the sprayed material before doing manual weld buildup.
Distortion is minimal when doing it on a rotating machine. You are less prone to getting lack of fusion at stops and starts since there is one start and one stop. Doing it manually with multiple stops and starts is bound to create uneven heating which is what causes distortion.
I know it seems obvious but make sure you have a ground connection directly to the workpiece.

ok...so i cobble up a hand drill on an rotary head and weld away..................makes sense.

Think I might "test" it on scrap rod before hitting the roller :crazy:

Obviously ground the rod and not go thru the rotating parts...LOL

Back