What's new
What's new

Tapered flanged tube section

essbend

Plastic
Hello,

I am a new member, but I've gotten a lot of info from reading these forums before.

I need a part manufactured (see link) but only in small quantities initially (hundreds) before going into larger-scale manufacturing depending on demand for the end product.

I assume the conventional way to manufacture the part would be to stamp it from flat sheet. Is that correct? But I was wondering if it would be practical to form the part out of tube stock. Could a die be made to form the taper and flange out of a section of ERW?

Steve

flangedtube.pdf - Google Drive

This would be straightforward to machine from round bar or DOM tube. Seems wasteful but a CNC lathe would make quick work of it.

Stamping/drawing from flat might work, but would be hard to be cost-effective for 100's. 1000's, maybe. It's a tough draw, thick walls and tight radii and all. It would be a progressive die situation, I don't think you could 1-hit this.

Ida Know about forming from tube. There's a lot of material needs to flow out to make the flange.

Regards.

Mike

I don't need the angle that accurate. That's just the nominal taper of the mating part.

If it's turned on a lathe, I do not need such a thin wall.

I looked this over briefly and it looks like something I can do on my screw machines. Mine top out at 1.625" O.D. but I think I can loosen the collet and grab what is called out here.

I am too busy to do this right now. Tool charges would cost a bit, but this part would run mostly unattended. I will pm you my info. if your numbers come up and my schedule frees up we can work something out.

If interested to have a quote now or in the future for a progressive die to stamp the part feel free to message me. We are a small shop located in Franklin park, IL capable of all types of dies.

Back