What's new
What's new

Unusual Carbide Tools with razor sharp points

Shop Supply Guru

Hot Rolled
I am looking for a source to make special carbide tools. Not endmills & inserts type tooling but very thin & sharp tools for the plastic industry.

I cannot get into to much detail but here are some general descriptions of the types of tools I am looking for.

1. Imagine a 30mm diameter saw blade without teeth and one edge is ground at an angle to a razor sharp point.

2. Imagine a collar stay for a dress shirt. If you don't know what that is google it. On one side the
edge is ground at a slight angle to a razor sharp point.

Please PM me with interest, a name of your website would be helpful if you have one.

Sincerely,
A tool sales guy who can't get this type of tools from conventional channels

Sort of like rotary cutting tools ?

industrial Knife makers, like a pizza cutting wheel, maybe the cutting wheels
for paper ? As in at a paper mill.

Only in brazed carbide ?

I would start with Leech Carbide, and see if they supply blanks to someone
doing this.

I used to sharpen pinch roller knives for Findlay Industries Inc of Ohio. Still sharpen same for one customer in Ubly Mi. 344 circular knives - Google Search
Perhaps that is what you are looking for and may find it with the right search for "Circular knives"
Dead sharp you might check with NTK and seek ceramic rather than carbide. No I don’t know if they make such as you desire. *High speed steel may be another consideration as the carbide cutters may be way more costly. HSS may be a throw-away or resharpened once or twice.

Found a source
Circular Blades, 3mm Diameter Circular Carbide Slitting / Slitter Knife Blade - Part..., BAUCOR GLOBAL GMBH, Germany
Perhaps this is your source and they are too expensive.

*if you are from Findlay ind. shoot me a private message. I will be out of town for a few days so able to get back to you next week...I used to sharpen for P&M of MtClemens Mi when Bill was plant manager. I could begin sharpening 344s again and turn the shop over to my son.... 344s @ 2.50 and I pay (UPS) shipping back.

York and Carolina are bigger names in circulars but I have not seen the ops knife in their catalog.
Yes custom knives are offered.
I see the 344s are under 5 bucks...
That is odd as my customer said they were paying $11. Perhaps the stated price is with a volume order.

Complete new finish ground solid carbide over an inch round at $5.00??? :eek:
I would ask Shop Supply to send more info but I can't touch this and do not know a US fabricator who could even if the volume is 10,000.
As close to a website as I have at the moment: Carbide Engineering
The phone number shown is now dead and other changes taking place.
Bob

Bob I did not say the OPs blade could be had for $5.00 but that the price for #344s a high speed blade of about 3 1/2 "

Think I bought/ordered carbide blades from Carbide Engineering a couple years ago for making sculpture tools and the blades never came. I can't remember If I got beat out of my money..

The OPs circular 30mm circular knife one side from Germany likely..$20. each IMHO..yes just guessing.

OP's blade for price 1-877-875-2627............. part # 61189 single bevel sharp edge

I don't know what or how you're planning to cut, but at my place of employment we used to cut plastics to the tune of tens of thousands of miles of plastic sheet per set of carbon steel knives by using shear cutting rather than sharp cutting. Kind of like circular scissor blades. One was above the sheet, the other below, they overlapped about .030", and were spring loaded against each other. They turned at a very slight(<1%)overspeed relative to the sheet speed.

The actual cut was made by shear fracture microscopically ahead of the blades, so there was no abrasive wear against knives related to cutting and they stayed sharp for years.

Thank you all. There is a lot of options to look into and I'll be reaching out to some of you who mentioned making them. No I'm actually a tool sales guy but I do live in Findlay and cover the market pretty well.

I don't know what or how you're planning to cut, but at my place of employment we used to cut plastics to the tune of tens of thousands of miles of plastic sheet per set of carbon steel knives by using shear cutting rather than sharp cutting. Kind of like circular scissor blades. One was above the sheet, the other below, they overlapped about .030", and were spring loaded against each other. They turned at a very slight(<1%)overspeed relative to the sheet speed.

The actual cut was made by shear fracture microscopically ahead of the blades, so there was no abrasive wear against knives related to cutting and they stayed sharp for years.

My customer uses similar methods in theory except the blades are very small. The knives actually split the material so no material is actually lost in this process. The knives do wear though as they are razor sharp and they cut nasty plastic with copper and fiberglass in them.

If you call the number I gave you in post #8, to get a price please come back and let us know the price.

(875 area is likely in Arizona)
re: [for price 1-877-875-2627............. part #61189 single bevel sharp edge]

Thanks, Buck

With a little more info I could have a sample in the mail Monday am. Fair warning though, my pricing would not be competitive with any of the numbers mentioned above.
[email protected]

Think I bought/ordered carbide blades from Carbide Engineering a couple years ago for making sculpture tools and the blades never came. I can't remember If I got beat out of my money..

If you are thinking Carbide Engineering or CES in Flushing Michigan I can assure you that you are mistaken.
You did not order or even quote anything from us in the last 5 decades.
Bob

If you are thinking Carbide Engineering or CES in Flushing Michigan I can assure you that you are mistaken.
You did not order or even quote anything from us in the last 5 decades.
Bob

Pretty sure it was a China out-fit (not of Flushing MI..) The price was so good I could not pass...and I got snookered..Perhaps using your name.
Not big buck sonot a serios problem..except I never got the product off the ground..

Back