What's new
What's new

0t--------20V149

They started it wrong.

Your supposed to let the controls take it full tilt to 1800 and load it inside a second. That makes for fun sounds, especially with HP air start.

Those engines are larger than that video made it look. If you haven't seen one in person it's hard to perceive.

Gar.….are those the same as the Loco engines ?

They look kind of small.

No, they're not that big. Just seemed the perspective in the video of that engine being out in a big open area made it look a little lean.

I'm not a little guy though and I have been in a 149 sump through the side covers on the block.

Last auction at the QR workshops at Redbank,there were stacks of the crankcases from the old GM loco engines ...20V645....these were the standard GM Electro engine for many years,superceded by the 16V 750s,four less cylinders and cheaper to run and repair.They too are obsolete now,and unless the Vietnamese want them (they bought a lot of old Clyde GM locos),scrap.

I met a guy that repaired tub grinders. Explained to me that the 149 Detroits were hands down the best engine to use on a tub grinder because they have enough power and the bottom end is tough enough to handle all the shock loading. That and they're dirt cheap compared to anything 4 stroke.

I met a guy that repaired tub grinders. Explained to me that the 149 Detroits were hands down the best engine to use on a tub grinder because they have enough power and the bottom end is tough enough to handle all the shock loading. That and they're dirt cheap compared to anything 4 stroke.

Did the 20v149's use fabricated crankcases ?

EPA emission standards went into effect around 1994--Detroit 2-strokers never passed the the most lenient
Tier 1 requirement and production terminated in the same year--'94

Might have been '94 . mebba a year or three earlier.. C&W's Meadowbank Exiles Club, I was chatting with a retiring Cable & Wireless Marine (the cable ship fleet) legend.

Marine Diesels our subject.

Seems one can cheat on emissions testing?

The wise old Maltese Marine Engineer swore a Lehman Diesel was so ignorant it could be run on fifty percent SEA water and not know it was meant to act any differently!

:D

Back