What's new
What's new

0t--controllable pitch marine propeller

I spent 3.5 years on a Navy FFG. 453 feet, 42k HP and a single large variable pitch prop.

The coolest thing a variable pitch prop can do is instant reverse.

Believe it when they call it instant. That ship could go from full ahead (30+ KTs) to full astern (15+ KT's) inside the length of itself.

If you happen to like being at the source of the action kinda stuff I suggest hanging out in the aft aux spaces where you can watch the 30" prop shaft twist up and bounce like a jump rope. The very, very back of the ship's main deck is called the poop deck. If you tried to be back there and you managed to hang on through the violent shakes you'd be washed off by a 10 foot wall of water.

I spent 3.5 years on a Navy FFG. 453 feet, 42k HP and a single large variable pitch prop.

The coolest thing a variable pitch prop can do is instant reverse.

Believe it when they call it instant. That ship could go from full ahead (30+ KTs) to full astern (15+ KT's) inside the length of itself.

If you happen to like being at the source of the action kinda stuff I suggest hanging out in the aft aux spaces where you can watch the 30" prop shaft twist up and bounce like a jump rope. The very, very back of the ship's main deck is called the poop deck. If you tried to be back there and you managed to hang on through the violent shakes you'd be washed off by a 10 foot wall of water.

Interesting. In 1965, I spent 4 days on the USS England, DLG-22. Midnight on the fantail, dropping a bathythermograph into the water and the whole deck was shaking from the screw.

Stuart

Back