Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JHOLLAND1 View Post
    I wonder what the backstory on the engine and the truck are. I can't imagine the film company had the budget to destroy a perfectly good train. Or a truck for that matter - bet they were pretty valuable. s

Steam powered trucks are pretty awesome.
    https://youtu.be/Cv3LNNwSx6M

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    I wonder what the backstory on the engine and the truck are. I can't imagine the film company had the budget to destroy a perfectly good train. Or a truck for that matter - bet they were pretty valuable. s
    It was almost certainly anything BUT "perfectly good". G'Dad was a B&O "round house" foreman. Interesting place to visit, but he retired, 44 years at it, when I was still just a wee tyke. His whole crew had worked at repair & rebuild all week, every week, all year. A G'G'Dad & 2 Grand Uncles were master machinists, Pennsylvania Railroad.

Major employers, steam-age, railroads were. Steam rail equipment was high-maintenance AND/OR/ELSE short-lived, needed constant lubrication, adjustment and replacements of rather a lot of wearing parts.

Take an end-of-useful life engine & over-age-in-grade rolling stock - tart it up for a last run?

Dramatic as the finale seemed once film was massaged. the actual speed was low, the fire was staged separately, so much of the wreckage could still have been salvaged or of-value for scrap weight.

Same, again, a steam truck:

Foden Trucks - Wikipedia

Valuable NOW, as rare collector's items. LESS valuable when diesel and petrol were pushing them out of use, and a worn-out or already badly-damaged one could be easily tarted-up to look the same on film as brand-new - much as they do with motorcars out of wrecking yards, modern films.

The more interesting thing to me, actually that in looking up the "Sentinel DG8" one you linked in a video":

Sentinel Waggon Works - Wikipedia

.. one finds that it was introduced to the UK market as brand-new, and ADVANCED as the first dual-wheel steer heavy truck..in the whole world, mayhap? .. as late as 1929!

Steam Workshop::Sentinel DG8 - Steam Wagon TARMAC Ltd.

That dual-wheel-steer cab-forward/over layout is now dirt-common all over tight space Asia and Europe - Diesel, usually. No longer steam.

One wouldn't have expected NEW steam that late in the century.. nor to find that the company that built them was absorbed into a larger firm.

Rolls-Royce

....of all folks!

Go figure what some well-fed Brits consider useful design inspiration for sporty luxury cars?

I'm just glad my Jaguar's genetic heritage was a motorbike SIDECAR maker!
    It's not as PONDEROUS!

My 3-ton Range-Rover "Sport" OTOH?

3-way cross between an armored steam artillery tractor, a ballerino, and Ford Motor Co. - contracted to Ford to FUBAR the timing chain design and substitute plastic for metal anywhere it was just plain WRONG.

Thousands of card-carrying fools and idiots outta work in Blighty.. and they had to hire FORD to screw-up the dumb stuff?

Britain is in deep s**t when they can no longer even make their own mistakes, hafta hire 'em done.