What's new
What's new

0t---metrology of death--Chernobyl

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
48 years ago I was part of a care team maintaing life in individuals who had been administered
single exposure ionizing radiation from cobalt-60 guaranteed to prove 100% lethal if their bone marrow transplant failed-

survival prospects-~~~25% team leader was awarded nobel prize--1990-- Dr Don Thomas

Chernobyl 1986--600,000 human liquidators participate in cleanup-containment--70,000 of that number
have perished -- direct consequence of exclusion zone exposure

focus of this thread is death of mechanized machinery employed in Chernobyl cleanup

first---a few questions--

what energy particles proved most lethal to Chernobyl robots?---
answer--gamma rays

what solid state components were most susceptible to Chernobyl radiation?
answer--prom chips and ccd cameras--life expectancy of minutes

what commonly used polymer degraded fastest at Chernobyl?
answer--Teflon

what additive blocked optical glass /fiber optics data transmission lines from destruction
consequence of radiation opacity?
answer--cesium salts at 2%

what is identity of the single Chernobyl robot that did not succumb to radiation death?
answer--MOBOT--designed at Moscow State University--it contained no electronic control elements-
entirely electro-mechanical--it performed 1000 hours on reactor 4 roof

pics--Mobot and robotic DET250 dozer --

Attachments

• mobot.jpg
    mobot.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 197
Interesting about the electro-mechanical robot. I wonder if its actions were directed by watching through high power optics from a distance?

I'm reminded of years ago when the U.S. obtained a stolen MIG fighter. Apparently some mocked the use of vacuum tube electronics until someone suggested they were more resistant to the effects of radiation.

Want to come back and watch that video sometime when I have more time for such.
That looks interesting.
Or at least they have my attention @ 600K man count and possible bigger reaction that apparently did not come.

I have considered these folks some of the biggest hero's of our time.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

As were the brave crewmen on the Soviet sub that suffered a reactor leak. They took turns going in to the reactor room despite knowing what would happen to them.

OT OT I cannot remember off the top my head but there was a documentary / story / movie that really did an excellent job explaining the incident. They did a great job explaining how an RMBK reactor is supposed to work. Then went on to elucidate the myriad of mistakes, egos and what have you that led to the disaster. Made no real mention of the robot, but this reminded me of when I was watching the entire cluster fuck unfold. But yhea all those radioactive elements played hell on any semiconductor devices.

OT OT I cannot remember off the top my head but there was a documentary / story / movie that really did an excellent job explaining the incident. They did a great job explaining how an RMBK reactor is supposed to work. Then went on to elucidate the myriad of mistakes, egos and what have you that led to the disaster. Made no real mention of the robot, but this reminded me of when I was watching the entire cluster fuck unfold. But yhea all those radioactive elements played hell on any semiconductor devices.

HBO had a decent documentary about Chernobyl last year.

Curious, was the OP involved in treatment of the helicopter pilot Mr. Grishchenko? If yes, was the OP involved in treatment of an American Nanda Devi climber?

L7

Anatoly Grishchenko was one of 600 heli pilots who flew Mi-6
craft entombing Chernobyl 4 reactor

soviet policy was one roentgen exposure per flight with 25 roentgen lifetime --lethal dose in 20% of population is around 125 roentgen

around 3 years after the chernobyl incident he developed leukemia--
he recieved bone marrow transplant in Seattle--Hutchinson institute-1990
I consulted there 13 years earlier -no participation in his care

surviving pilots received Chernobyl bonus--$31 us dollar equivalent/month

no experience with Nanda Devi climbers

Back